upgraded iMac G3 hard disk - worry about heat?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rikers_mailbox, Mar 16, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    For some background on this, read my earlier thread here. Basically I have just outfitted a iMac G3 400Mhz with a new, way bigger internal hard disk. (I'm excited.)

The old disk was the standard 10Gb, 2 Mb cache, 5400 rpm disk. The new is a 80 Gb, 8 Mb cache, 7200 rpm Maxtor drive. I have read some websites stating that with higher rpm drives may generate too much heat. Is this really a concern? How can I tell if it's running hot?

If it is a problem, would only the drive overheat or other devices too?

Any help/wisedom is appreciated. Thanks,
  2. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    No scientific evidence, but an iMac is not nearly as cramped as a laptop, and new hard drives are more efficient than the old ones. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I upgraded my old 233 iMac from the 5400 to 7200 and never had any problems.
  4. macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Upgraded my 333 Mhz Blueberry iMac from a small 6GB drive to a 40GB 7200 RPM drive two years ago (actually it may be three years ago...wow). Anyway, no problems at all. Works great (besides the fact that I am forced into partitioning the drive...grrrr)
  5. macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Nope its no problem, even with the fanless slot loading models. I put a 80gb Samsung drive in mines, and its working fine, even running 24/7 (and its overclocked 100mhz too!)
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I'd have to agree with everyone else, I've upgraded quite a few iMac G3 hard drives, as the ones with the 10GB Maxtor's tended to fry (literaly), and the typical one's I put in were 80GB 7200 RPM drives. No one ever had any problems.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    Cool. Thanks everyone. I'll sleep better at night knowing that all is fine. ;)

I will also note that since installing the new drive, my old iMac has a new lease on life. It runs SO much quieter (can hardly tell it's on at all!) and is. . wait for it. . . snappier. :p The faster rpm and larger disk cache really make a difference.

I'd like to see a 1999 era PC running XP perform this well.