Upgraded my 24" iMac Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nateDEEZY, Mar 7, 2007.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Wow just wow! I had previously upgrade my iMacs hard drive to an OEM Maxtor Drive that I got relativly cheap... Was quickly disappointed finding out how LOUD it was, it's terribly loud It's the Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM.. Well at least I have a good drive to use with Time Machine when it comes out xD

I got fed up with it and opted for the Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM... I picked it over the 7200.10 version of it because it was a server grade hard drive as well as had the lowest decibel rating... It's a hell of a lot quieter than that Maxtor!

So those of you looking to upgrade your iMac's/Mac's hard drive definitely look into the barracuda ES's.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Was it easy to install? Any pics of the process?

3. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the right tools it was a cinch! I didn't take pics of the install, but I've seen some flying around... I'll find the link before I post this post.

I used these pictures as a reference point on how things come apart, it helped a lot!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28012

I believe later on someone posted a write up using the pictures the original thread started took.