Upgraded my iMac G4!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by diamond3, Aug 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Well, I just finished replacing the DVD burner (Pioneer 112d) in my iMac G4 1ghz 17". Talk about a change from the previous one. Its so much faster. I also changed out the 200pin 256mb internal ram with 1gb crucial memory. I can already notice the improvements and I'm running CS2, firefox, iTunes, Messenger, and active monitor and there still are no page outs. I also put the thermal paste on it once I was done.

All in all it was well worth the upgrade. It was $100 total for the DVD burner, 1gb memory, arctic silver 5 thermal paste and shipping from newegg.

And yes you can have more than 1 gig in the iMac 1gh or 1.25ghz model. I'll maybe upgrade to 2 gig later in the sodimm slot.:):):)
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2007
    Upgrading an iMac G4

Hey diamond3, I am looking to upgrade my iMac G4 (1.25 GHz) as well. I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me: where would you suggest purchasing 1GB chips of RAM for that machine, and what do I need to look for to make sure it's compatible? Where is the internal memory slot located in that machine? Can I buy the exact same chip of RAm for the SO-DIMM slot, as well? And it is indeed possible to put 2GB in that machine? Thanks for your help.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2007
    Sussex, UK
    Is anyone else able to answer this? I have an old g4 imac (1.25mhz) 20". Exactly what RAM do I need? Preferably want to boost it up to 2gb. Thanks.
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2007
    Music City, USA
    Thanks for the post... I bought an iMac G4 17" 1.25/768/80gb last week for $150. Sat in a showroom for years, probably has 20 hours of use on it.

Upgraded it to 1GB/160gb with stuff I had lying around. VERY interested to learn that you were able to go over 1GB, I might be tempted to try that.

Leopard runs great.