Upgraded Ram from Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dwburnell, Aug 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am going to be getting my air next week. I have to get it at Best Buy because I got a gift card through work. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the 8gb ram in the 13" i5 MBA or is the only way through Apple. I don't mind the 4gb but though 8gb would be nice.

2. macrumors regular

I believe that bto option is only available through Apple.

3. macrumors regular

Correct - BB does not offer the upgraded RAM options.

4. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

Unless they have an 8 GB one lying around then no. It's generally an upgrade option via the Apple Store.

5. macrumors 65816

Are there any other merchants that offer extended memory options other than Apple? I was hoping Amazon would offer 8gigs, but they don't.

6. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can ask if they will special order it. It's not like they'll bite your head off.

7. macrumors regular

My wife has the 2011 MBA, and it runs fine with 4gb. I am always amazed at the speed of the Air with the SSD. You will be happy with the 4gb version. Enjoy! :D

8. macrumors 6502a

You need to order a MBA with the amount of RAM you want.

You can get built to order MBAs from:

Apple.com
    MacMall.com

9. macrumors 65816

I just checked out MacMall and they do offer the RAM upgrades, but they charge sales tax, so Apple would be a better choice.

My goal is to find an online merchant that sells the MBA's with upgraded memory and no sales tax. I may end up getting my MBA from Amazon and pass on the memory upgrade. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502a

I believe one can upgrade the ram in a MBA yourself but I'm not sure if it voids the warranty, but it's not all that complicated, there are loads of youtube vids on how to.

11. macrumors 65816

aeboi

12. macrumors 6502a

Yes I see that now after watching one of the vids, seems only the SSD blades are easier to replace, but they do cost a pretty penny.
    4GB ram with an SSD should be plenty, with the bus speeds now days and SATA3 ram isn't as big a factor as it used to be (depending on how the OS handles virtual memory).

13. macrumors 6502a

MacMall only charges sales tax in a few states (looks like you're in CA, which is one of them). I believe Apple would charge tax just about anywhere. Plus, MacMall generally is a bit cheaper, and there's another site that usually has a 2-4% coupon code that's good for anything. They also do 12 months same as cash, if that's something you'd be interested in.

14. macrumors member

www.bhphotovideo.com in NYC has updated RAM in all versions of MBA. Plus, applecare is about $95. Never ordered from them, but did read about them here.