Upgraded to 10.4.4 .. now NO sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moabman1, Jan 27, 2006.

1. moabman1 macrumors newbie

I have a PB 17", 1.5 ghz. I just upgraded to Tiger, which worked fine. But, when I upgraded to 10.4.4. I was left with no sound. I tried reinstalling 10.4.4, but that did not fix the problem. I have double checked sound preferences, have tried ear phones, have tried different programs. I'm out of ideas .. Any suggestions? Or, anyone else have this problem?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would try to restore your system to the OS it came with and then see if you have sound again. If not, it's probably a hardware problem and you need to have Apple service the Powerbook.

3. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I think something like this happend to my PB G4. To remedy it I changed the sound prefs to another selection, and then back to my original choice. Mysteriously, the sound was restored to the pre-upgrade condition. Hope this helps.

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, as a start try launching Garageband (if you have it) then close it. Try your sound again and see of it works.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's a fault with the Audio MIDI Setup that can usually be remedied by opening and then closing Garageband. :)

Beaten by the superfast VanNess. :p

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If the Garageband trick didn't work, then the next thing I would have said was a trip to Audio MIDI Setup to manually verify/change the audio settings there, so you beat me to that:)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ha, okay. :D

Well, FWIW if Garageband doesn't fix it then I don't think it's an Audio MIDI issue. :(

8. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

My thinking was that if his sound was stuck on 480000 instead of 441000, he's going to have a problem, but beyond that then who knows.

The 10.4.4 update shouldn't have caused a failure, and I doubt if it was just that by itself.

9. moabman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I've tried the suggestions you have offered, but have had no success. I can't absolutely, positively say that it was the upgrade to 10.4.4 that caused the problem, but the upgrade represented the most recent major change to the system.

I will try reinstalling Tiger and see if that fixes the problem. Fortunately, I'm not that much of an audiophile, so having no sound isn't the end of the world for me!!

Thanks Again.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It might also be worth checking your RAM to ensure both slots are working.

Logic board failures connected to OS updates are rare on the 17"s but they do happen, and having no sound is a symptom.

Hopefully it's something less serious though.

11. moabman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time for diagnostics this week. I appreciate all the responses.

I've just discovered that the computer doesn't recognize any input sound either.

I took the PB apart and blew out dust. I pushed the ram in, as it was out just slightly, but otherwise noted nothing else suspicous.

I will keep this thread updated until I discover a solution.

12. JerryGord macrumors newbie

same problem, help!

Hi. Did you ever get this fixed? I am running 10.4.11 and I have no sound either. When I go to System Preferences and click on sound and go to output or input, it says no output devices found or no input devices found. I tried all the remedies mentioned above and none of them work. Can you help me?--

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nice bump...

The thread is only three years old.

14. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Well to be fair, it's only 2.5 years old.

:p