Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I finally upgraded after over 6 1/2 years. I have retired my G4 450 Rev. A 'sawtooth' and have upgraded to a refurb'd 1.66 CD Mac Mini. It arrived on Saturday so I haven't had too much time on it yet, and though my newerTech v2 miniStack and 2GB RAM kit won't be here till Wednesday, I can already say it is a huge jump over my G4. I can't wait to see how well it runs with 2GBs of RAM. Still planning on getting a 2.33 24" iMac next spring, but this little thing will be a nice machine to use till then. It's my first superdrive as well as my first Tiger machine. I only had Panther running on my G4. So spotlight and dashboard are new to me. Not really sure what the other Panther - Tiger improvements were. Next on the list will be a Black 8GB Nano.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I've got the same machine. I love it. I got it stock with 512mb ram and it's plenty fast for what I use it for. The only thing that I noticed takes a while is when iDVD converts movies to burn to dvd. The first time I tried it I though something was wrong. I ended up just leaving it over night and it was done when I got up. I talked to a friend who has a DualCore PowerMac G5 and he said his is the same way, so it must just take that long to do.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I think you deserve it after 6.5 years! Way to go.

Just curious. At what price & where did you order the RAM?

Thanks.
The RAM I got from OWC - $254.99 for the 2x1GB sticks. Datamem.com had the RAM for $244, but their shipping was $7 and OWC was $3.95 incl. shipping insurance. The main reason I went with OWC was that I also bought an iSkin clear keyboard protector and a newertech v2 miniStack case. I got the $84.95 case option with software and put my media drive from my G4, a Western Digital SE 120GB 8MB Cache in the miniStack. It has all my video, graphics, and iTunes library.

I needed a putty knife, OWC has a video you can watch, to put the RAM in, but everything arrived yesterday and I was able to setup the miniStack and install the RAM last night. Everything is now set up, I just need to finish installing apps, setting up mailboxes and other migration related details. Not to mention learn more about Tiger and discover some of the new and awesome freeware and shareware apps out there that I may want to use.

RockyOne

macrumors newbie
Wow! Mac mini's have sure grown up..

You will,no doubt,forgive me.I thought mac Mini's were just a cut above toys..You guys,thankfully blew that theory out of the water..Must be amazing to get so much power out of a tiny box (Like our iPod's I guess)..Could'nt post a pix of your setup? Enjoy! RockyOne out bush in Australia
Thanks.
The RAM I got from OWC - $254.99 for the 2x1GB sticks. Datamem.com had the RAM for $244, but their shipping was $7 and OWC was $3.95 incl. shipping insurance. The main reason I went with OWC was that I also bought an iSkin clear keyboard protector and a newertech v2 miniStack case. I got the $84.95 case option with software and put my media drive from my G4, a Western Digital SE 120GB 8MB Cache in the miniStack. It has all my video, graphics, and iTunes library.

I needed a putty knife, OWC has a video you can watch, to put the RAM in, but everything arrived yesterday and I was able to setup the miniStack and install the RAM last night. Everything is now set up, I just need to finish installing apps, setting up mailboxes and other migration related details. Not to mention learn more about Tiger and discover some of the new and awesome freeware and shareware apps out there that I may want to use.

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
Thanks.

Thanks for the scoop. Sweet setup! I've taken apart our mini to upgrade the RAM and I was very nervous... but all went well.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I've got the same machine. I love it. I got it stock with 512mb ram and it's plenty fast for what I use it for. The only thing that I noticed takes a while is when iDVD converts movies to burn to dvd. The first time I tried it I though something was wrong. I ended up just leaving it over night and it was done when I got up. I talked to a friend who has a DualCore PowerMac G5 and he said his is the same way, so it must just take that long to do.
Video does take a long time. But you would no doubt help yourself with at least 1GB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.