Upgraded to OS X - What A Mess!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Warp Coil, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Warp Coil macrumors newbie

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 466mhz G4 powermac from OS 9.1 to OS 10.2... I'd had the CDs for Jaguar for a couple of months but had been holding back on making the change.

So I finally decided to go ahead and upgrade this afternoon. What a mistake that was!

The first disc installed just fine... asked me to reboot and then it asked for disc 2. The installer got about 95% of the way through the second disc when it stopped doing anything. Just sat there.... it wasn't frozen... but the computer wasn't doing anything and the software on the second disc was never finished installing. I quit the installer and OS X seemed to be there. It looked okay to me. I rebooted and then tried to re-install the material on the second disc again, and it seemed to be okay.

But something went terribly wrong!

Internet Explorer, iMovie, iPhoto and iTunes don't seem to be there... the icon for IE is there but if I try to open the application I get an error. The icons for the the other programs aren't even on the dock... there are folders where they should be but the computer can't seem to find the programs. I also tried to install Norton Systemworks.... it actually installed fine... but the computer gives me errors.

Oh, and "Classic" mode won't start up either. I tried using old versions of Netscape and IE that were on my computer prior to the upgrade but nothing happens.

WTF is wrong with this thing? I can't do very with the computer in its current state! All of my files are there... I can open the quicktime stuff (quicktime seems to work just fine) but how am I supposed to do anything else???

I tried to re-install OS X using the CD but it won't let me.

I have been very frustrated with my computer for quite some time and this is really getting irritating! Part of me just wants to buy a whole new system (but I can barely afford to do that... it's a last resort to be used only if necessary).

Does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions? I'm not exactly a Mac expert... I don't know the tricks of the trade. Problem-solving is not my thing.

2. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

BE PATIENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my old Pismo it took almost 3 hours to install. I did exactly what you did the first time. Just put CD 1 back in, hold down the C key and re-install the OS.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, at the end it should optimize your system, and that will probably take a long time. It took FOREVER on my iMac g3. Just get the second CD started and then go do something esle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Disk Permissions problem?

I agree. Install didn't finish.
    Reinstall. Be patient.

Until you REINSTALL, using Apple's DISK UTILITY may not yet help. BUT, afterwards, always use Disk Utility regularly after any install, including updates.

The difficulties you describe regarding your applications and files sounds exactly like a PERMISSIONS problem (unique to OS X; you are no longer in OS9 land).

Try this:

Locate Apple?s DISK UTILITY found in UTILITIES : APPLICATIONS (OS X) folder--
    select your OS X startup drive (in left column) and click on the
    FIRST AID tab above, then click on
    REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS button and PATIENTLY WAIT while it repairs your disk permissions per file - watch the blue bar.

This should get the icons and applications reacquainted. I run
    Repair Disk Permissions every time I install anything new, even updates. If I don?t, weird things ? like what Warp Coil describes ? always seem to happen.

Now, if none of this has worked, visit the nearest Apple Store and talk it over with someone at the "Genius" counter, assuming you are not covered by AppleCare, which allows you to call Apple for free for 3 years. If they can't TALK you through it, bring your CPU and discs with you, and see if a confrontation works. (Anyone new to OS X who buys a new Mac, especially with an LCD monitor--iBook, iMac, PowerBook, Apple Studio Monitor, etc.-- gets real value out in paying $350 for AppleCare, which covers both hardware and SOFTWARE problems).

You do know
    Mac Rule #1: backup data regularly
    Mac Rule #2: always backup your data before installing a new OS...because it could get wiped.

;) You will love OS X, especially now that Jaguar has arrived, and PANTHER is due in September.
    Takes some getting used to since it is a whole new world from 9.2.2, and better.
    READ everything on OS X you can get your hands on re: bugs, tricks, etc., in old issues of Macworld, MacAddict...

5. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, see, the problem is, the computer won't let me reinstall OS X! If I reboot the computer with the OS X disc and try to reinstall, is starts the installation program over again. Fine. Normal. Whatever. But when the installer asks me which drive I want to install the software on, nothing shows up. An icon representing my HD should appear, I select it, and then continue with the installation... but that doesn't happen! So I can't continue with the installation!

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

one little point i would like to make for those going from 9 - 10. You better have memory and iam not talking,32,64 128 but 256 at least and 512 or better. OsX is a memory hog. Sorry you had such a mess but you have to have memory if not you are waisting your time.

7. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

When you get to the HD icon, there is a button on the bottom - Options...

Here you can select various ways of installing, including moving the old system files in a folder and reinstalling, overwriting or erase and install.

The memory advice is very true, but also HD space is important, if you only have ~2GB of HD space left, you won't have smooth sailing.

8. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Memory and HD space aren't an issue... I have 1GB of RAM and around 23GB of my 30GB HD free to use.... I am aware of the fact that OS X is a memory hog and I wouldn't have even tried to upgrade if I was low on resources.

I will try to reinstall and see how it goes... wish me luck! (I'm using my computer at work... if all else fails, I'll come back to my office and return to this message board so I can cry and whine some more!)

Thanks for everyone's help and comments! Let's see how things go now!

9. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Your configuration?

Warp Coil

Everyone is making good points for you.

How much RAM do you have?
    What is your HD size, and
    how much space do you have left?

Have you tried running a repair of DISK PERMISSIONS?

Did you back up your Data? If not, BACKUP now! If you decide to Erase your HD and start over, be sure to back up everything you can by burning to CDs or whatever you usually do.

If you cannot do stuff in OS X,
    try to startup in OS 9, then backup and prepare to erase and start over if necessary.

If you do startover, consider a
    20-30 GB partition for OS X called "Macintosh HD" by default
    10-15 GB partition for OS 9 (unless, you use your old smaller HD for all OS 9), and
    3rd partition for balance of your hard drive space.
    Another partition "MacWarp" could be used for just your data, with balance of HD partition "MacBULK" for misc. storage in bulk - handy for DV files, iMovies, etc.

Reason-if you lose a partition, then the other partitions may survive.
    Again, partitioning is done within the DISK UTILITY.

If you do not have at least an 80 GB hard drive, recommend you add (yourself, you can do it) one 80 GB to 160 GB hard drive (7200 rpm minimum, 8 MB buffer preferred - they are cheap now) either Western Digital (my favorite, great customer support service), IBM (very good), or Maxtor are all good -
    Fry's electronics has great prices with killer rebates (80 GB for $80 or less after rebate - thats $1.00 per GB!). Check your Apple System Profile to see brand name of OEM hard drive Apple installed, including speed & size.

RAM is a must and it is super cheap now.
    Try Fry's, theChipMerchant.com, MacMall, MacZone, MacConnection, etc. If you add, think 256 minimum chip size, but price a 512. If you added a 64 MB chip before, pull it out and put it in your computer desk bottom drawer.

If you need moral support (help) installing RAM or Hard Drive, get a MacBuddy to come over and guide you through it, or let me know.

10. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

1 gig RAM is good

Can you startup in OS 9 for backup purposes?

Two more suggestions:

1. OS X will quickly eat up your 30 GB HD. Suggest you ADD at least an 80 GB HD.
    Reason - OS X apps want to be on OS X startup drive & partition, and they tend to be much larger than OS 9 apps. The whole reason for going OS X is to use native apps, which are great. OS X puts tons and tons of data in LIBRARY and DOCUMENT folders on OS X. It has about 300 MB of non-English language files that you will likely never use, unless you want to run your Mac using Chinese, Korean, or Swedish.
    Also, Hard Drives start to slow down and have problems when you fill the last 15 to 25% of free space. On a 30 GB drive, you need to leave 8 GB free. Within a few months, you may begin to push that limit.

2. Depending on status of your OS X as currently installed, you may be able to turn your computer into a FireWire drive by holding down "T" key upon startup. You can then attach it to another Mac as like an external FireWire drive, which will then appear on that computers Desktop. This may allow you to access, transfer, backup, or move things around if you need to.

11. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Things are working... I think.

It took me a few hours and a few tries, but all of the OS X software seemed to get installed finally. I am now typing this message on my home computer.

That's not to say there haven't been problems... it took two or three tries to get the software installed properly. There was even one point where the first disc installed, then when the computer rebooted, the gray apple logo turned into a circle with a line thru it (didn't look like a good thing, so I rebooted again and it worked).

I've had the computer crash a couple of times... but at least all of the programs are here and seem to work (for the moment at least!).

Thanks for the suggestions re: RAM and HD. I will have to see how much space OS X and its applications eat up. I don't mind having to purchase an extra HD... it's much cheaper than having to buy a new system!

I am still very, VERY skeptical about my computer. I don't believe that it's all working perfectly. But I've made enormous progress at least!

12. frescies macrumors regular

Re: Upgraded to OS X - What A Mess!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but doesnt 10.2 require 9.2.2 for a valid Classic Boot volume? As I recall... Anything earlier than 9.2.2 wont work with Jaguar.