Upgrades for NEW 12" iBookG4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ArchiMark, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Greetings,

Hope someone can advise please....

Just got one of the brand new 12" iBooks yesterday. BTW, came with OSX10.4.2 already installed....

Very nice and an improvement over the previous 12" G3/500 iBook I had before....

Anyway, now already thinking of upgrading iBook. So could use some input...

1) RAM

Want to get a 1GB RAM module to max out RAM. From what I see on Apple site, it uses '200 pin PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM'.

Is this a standard module that I can buy at most computer stores? Or is it a specific design to iBooks?

Any thoughts on what brands to buy?

2) HARD DRIVE

I have a very fast Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM notebook drive that I used briefly on a Windows laptop.

Would it make much of an improvement to the iBook to use this drive in it?

If so, I assume that in order to preserve warranty I need to have an Apple authorized service center to the swap out?

Is there any other hard drive that would be better to use in this iBook?

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Congratulations on your purchase!

1gig of ram, taking this up to 1.5gb would be fantastic.

As for the hard disk, you doing it would most definitely VOID warranty, i"m not even sure you can get Apple ppl to do it either and if you could it'd cost a lot.. perhaps enough to warrant buying a powerbook with 5200rpm instead. I'm not even sure it'll be that much faster and it'll probably run warmer which you dont really want on the iBook.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

With macs you need to get specific RAM for there. Theyre pretty picky about it, try cruical.com.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The hard drive will definitely make a large difference in the speed of your iBook. The downside is that installing the hard drive will void your warranty. I don't know if the speed increase (even though it would be large) is worth voiding your warranty.

5. lfielder06 Guest

I believe compusa will install hard drives for $30. I do not know if this viods your warranty or not. I would think that only the hard drive would not be under warranty since the job is being done by an apple authorized dealer. Call compusa or apple and ask.

6. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help, SpaceMagic, runninmac, and Capt Underpants!

Although I'm not real clear on a few points...

It seems that you're all saying that changing hard drive would be an improvement but it would void warranty.

I figured that would be the case if I do the work.

However, if an Apple Authorized Service Center does the work I would still have a warranty, right??

Also, you're saying that I can use just any 200 pin PC2700 333MHz DDR SO-DIMM??? Has to be specifically designated as for Apple computers??

Thanks,

Mark

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've been thinking about the possibility of getting one, and putting a superdrive in myself at some point after buying it. Are there any superdrives readily available, at a reasonable price, currently that don't require any special software to work in iDVD, etc? If there are, are they just the same mechanism Apple uses, or are there some of the more sophisticated ones (it seems like some of the after-market ones offer more formats than Apple?) that still work without extra software?

Anyone give me shopping tips?

:)

And yes, I know how difficult it is to install it, and yes I know it will void the warranty. The only part I'm not clear on is which units to choose.