Upgrades on edu software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Dec 7, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I am thinking about getting Final Cut Express HD 3.5 this week because the edu price is $149 vs. the retail price of $299. I expect that there will be a new version by midyear 2007.

The reason I am thinking of getting it now, though I may not use it till I get my 24" iMac in the spring is that in a couple more weeks I won't be a student anymore.

1. My question is does Apple allow edu users to get upgrades even if they are not edu users anymore? Final Cut Express upgrades are either $49 or $99 I think.

2. Am I entitled to the 4.0 release at the upgrade price if I own an edu copy?

3. Is there even a difference between the box/serial #/anything on the retail and edu versions?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

1. My question is does Apple allow edu users to get upgrades even if they are not edu users anymore? Final Cut Express upgrades are either $49 or $99 I think.

You'd have to buy a full version, then you can upgrade from there. You can't upgrade EDU software, the serial number restricts the upgrade software from doing so.

2. Am I entitled to the 4.0 release at the upgrade price if I own an edu copy?

Sure, if you buy a full 3.0 version. If you're EDU, you have to keep buying EDU versions, which are full installs, not upgrades.

3. Is there even a difference between the box/serial #/anything on the retail and edu versions?

No, with the exception that you can't use the edu version for profit or commercial purposes.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i was always under the impression of that if you get the edu version, you cannot upgrade freely to the next x.0 or above version... i'm not sure if you can buy the upgrade disk

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Except the as you said in #2 you, the serial # restricts an upgrade from being used.

In that case I might as well wait for 4.0 and buy it at $299. Unless I still find myself taking classes at that point.

One other question. Am I right that as an enrolled student I get the edu discount, regardless of my class load. I already have my degree but took I database class this fall and may take more in the future. Haven't decided. Do you know if that counts for edu, or do I have to be a full-time degree-seeking student. If I continue to take classes it is for the purpose of a career move, just not sure that it is part of a structured program or degree curriculum.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, really, anybody can order software from Apple at edu prices through the edu online store. They don't verify student status. But for good karma, you're fine since you ARE technically a student. Then again, we're all students in live aren't we?