Upgrading 10.4 on PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikegavin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2010
    Hey guys,

Just a quick enquiry. I've purchased a refurb PowerPC G5 running 10.4

Rather than purchase the 10.5.6 Disc to upgrade, could i use the Mac OS X Install DVD I got with my MacBook in July 2009? It's version 10.5.6 obviously!

Cheers for any help you can give!
  2. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    You could use the Macbook disc, but you'll have to change a few files to make it work on the PowerMac, (don't ask). I say your best bet is to find a disc on eBay.
  3. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    NO, those grey restore DVDs are machine/model specific and can't be used with other Macs, except with the exact same model.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2010
    i used a 10.6.5 disc that came with a macbook pro to upgrade my macbook though, worked fine!
  5. macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio,Texas
    This is a grey area

I would agree with the posters for the most part. I have had mixed experiences with grey install disks. It seems that the newer the machine is the less luck you will have. I know it sucks to have to buy a retail copy of Mac OS to upgrade install. Still waiting for a good price to upgrade my dual 533 here to tiger from Panther.

6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2008
    i think there is a way to achieve this but tbh i'm not sure what the forums policies are on discussing it - so a bit reluctant to post anything.

think this is probably what Intell means by don't ask.

how much are they on ebay - if not too much you might go there as he/she suggests