Upgrading 17" Powerbook HD?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by junior, Jan 14, 2004.

1. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Does anyone know how to open up the Powerbook (or know a link) and change the HD?
    It seems to be an easy task with the Tibooks, but with the Albooks doesn't seem to be an easy task.
    Has anyone actually done this on the 17 incher?
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the Hitachi 7200rpm drive.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Click here

Unfortunately, the instructions are in Japanese, but you should be able to wing it. You can also use Sherlock's translator, it might help a little.

3. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

MoparShaha, you are brilliant!! I can actually read Japanese, so how perfect is that!
    It doesn't look too friendly a task to do this, does it. I wonder why Apple made it so patheticlly difficult to upgrade the HD?

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

junior: if you are really serious and wants to do it and need some translations, let me know. i'd be happy to help. (but i won't translate the entire webpage, that's just too much effort.)

EDIT: oh, ok, that's good. good luck.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Great! I'm glad it worked out so conveniently for you. I also read Japanese, but my Kanji is pretty weak :(.

6. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

I always knew you had something to do with Japan, with that JFA avatar under your name! But why JFA...

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont speak japanese unless its ordering food, so does anyone have a link to a english site that has teh upgrade instructions, i tried the translator and its not that great i just want to be 100% sure before i even attempt this