Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmengie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
hi.

i'm thinking of doing this upgrade so i can upgrade to osx. anyone have any experience with this company or input on whether it's even worth it? (i know i can run osx on a g3, but i've been having problems installing.)

thx.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Let's see depending what model of G3 imac you have your machine could currently be worth at least $250-$500. Seeing how you could sell your machine for say $300 and apply that $300 you would have spent for this upgrade you will be left with $600 for a new computer if you decide to sell this machine. You can get a brand new 1.25Ghz emac for $799 that's just $200 more, however you get 750 more Mhz plus a faster Graphics chipset with two to four times the amount of VRAM, bigger monitor, probably bigger internal HD plus Combo drive, USB 2.0 etc etc. I suggest you dump your machine and get an emac. Spending $300 on an obsolete imac to make it slightly less obsolete is a waste when you can get a brand new machine for just a couple hundred bucks more. Upgrading PowerMacs can make sense sometimes however upgrading an imac is really not worth it beyond adding more RAM and airport Card.

shmengie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
hmmm...i guess i didn't realize that the emacs were so cheap. point taken. btw, if it makes any difference, it's a dv400 slot-loader.

besides, what i really want is a dual-g5. guess i'll go rob a bank...

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Little Endian said:
You can get a brand new 1.25Ghz emac for $799 that's just $200 more, however you get 750 more Mhz plus a faster Graphics chipset with two to four times the amount of VRAM, bigger monitor, probably bigger internal HD plus Combo drive, USB 2.0 etc etc.

and refurb ones are a hundred bucks less than that. I agree, upgrading an iMac is rarely worth while. Either it does what you need already (my 233 mhz iMac does what I need just fine thank you), or you want a new computer.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
That's a lot of money to go from 400mhz to 500mhz. I don't think you'll even notice the difference. And it will do bugger all to help your installation troubles. Upgrade processors often cause install problems themselves.

If you want to install OS X on that iMac but are having troubles then post about what the troubles are and we'll get it sorted out. That machine ought to run it beautifully.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
If this was a plug and play upgrade, I would say it could help you a lot. Alti-Vec does help with many OS X functions. However, in many things it does not, and you would only gain 100 mhz.

I concur with the others that your best bet it to sell the current machine, pick up a refurb or used eMac. You get a nicer screen, better optical drive, better video, faster chip for slightly more money.

The idea of a hack job upgrade is never a great idea. I am sure it works fine, but you are in a bind if it does not. I did a similar update to an old Mac Plus back in the day and it was a nightmare.

http://www.smalldog.com and many others have a good inventory of used eMacs and check the Apple store under specials.

shmengie said:
hi.

i'm thinking of doing this upgrade so i can upgrade to osx. anyone have any experience with this company or input on whether it's even worth it? (i know i can run osx on a g3, but i've been having problems installing.)

thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.