Upgrading A Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wildfire, Aug 3, 2006.

1. wildfire macrumors newbie

I will recive my new iMac Tommarow, Have Built my own PC's for several years.
    Wondered if there will be a way for me to put a Dual 2 Core in my Imac later on or am I stuck with what I get.
    Dont get me wrong I am looking forward to my Imac, but hearing great things about the Dual 2 Cores also.
    Thanks in advance for any replies:)

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. wildfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I noticed that just after I posted this and soory I just got off a 12 hr night Shift and am kinda tired that may be why I also missed it.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

People have done it, the iMac (notice spelling, you'll get ripped to shreds on here if you keep calling it an "Imac") has a socketed processor so removal of the Core Duo and replacement with a Core 2 is possible. I don't know how easy it will be though.

The video "card" - it's not a card but a collection of components soldered to the logic board - is not upgradeable. The HDD is, the optical drive probably is, the RAM certainly is. Ram is easy, the other parts are more difficult.

5. wildfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again

K thanks I will wait for some time and as the price for the CPU's will decline I am sure