Upgrading Adobe applications

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bousozoku, Nov 18, 2005.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm trying to decide about getting the latest Photoshop release, CS2. I could really use an upgrade to GoLive from version 6 and I have the education version of Illustrator 10, as well as a full release of Photoshop 7 and LiveMotion 2.

I could really use the Premium suite upgrade because of Acrobat and GoLive but $749 seems daunting even though at $169, I would only be getting Photoshop. An education version is no longer an option for me.

Any thoughts about this?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You'll end up using this release for three years or so. $20 bucks a month. No brainer. :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If it was me, and given the money involved, I'd wait for CS3. It's not that far away... allegedly.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Really?? CS2 was just released in May. That's just 6 months. How long was the gap between CS1 and CS2?

5. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

People did start talking about CS3 before CS2 was finally released. I'd been considering that I could upgrade later to the Premium suite with a minor difference in price.

Of course, once I sell my house, there should not be much of an issue. I guess I should wait for CS3 and that will probably be summer or so next year.

[EDIT]
    I ended up buying Photoshop Elements version 3.0 for the PowerBook so I'd have proper editing software in the field. It's actually quite good as long as I don't need CMYK and lab color, etc. It's also more advanced than my version 7, as it will handle RAW files and do cookie cutter images, red-eye amelioration, etc.

It's not at all bad for inexpensive software. The only thing I've noticed that isn't good is the startup time. My dual G4/800 starts Photoshop 7 much more quickly than the 1.33 GHz PowerBook but it could be the 7200 rpm drive, double the RAM, or the fact that I'm impatient but I remember people saying that Photoshop CS was quite a bit slower than Photoshop 7.
    [/EDIT]