upgrading an eMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolphin1, Dec 10, 2006.

1. dolphin1 macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    I've touched on this subject before but I have other questions... I've got an eMac which is running on OS X 10.2.4 (Jaguar). I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to Tiger or maybe even Panther. I can't afford a whole new computer. I just got an ibook with Tiger a while back and so far the desktop eMac is working great. I would really like to get an app. like appZapper onto this eMac. But I see they only support Tiger. Is there another app. like appZapper that would work on either Jag. or Panther??
    I only have 384MB on the eMac. I suppose I could also upgrade that as well if I had to.
    So, should I go up to Panther or Tiger and will I NEED more MB to support those upgrades?
    I don't have anything on here that eats up alot of memory. No games and such. Just basic stuff.
    But I have the appZapper on the ibook and love it. I HATE looking for files to delete manually.
    thanks -
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    You can check this out and see if it helps you out.

Yeah putting more RAM in that thing woud help you out a bit.....if you can get your hands on tiger it should run well with enough RAM.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Sell the 128MB RAM DIMM and buy a 1GB RAM DIMM, which are now quite affordable.

Big improvement all round combining that and Tiger, or wait a few months and Apple/software retailers should be selling Tiger cheap because of leopard.
  4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    Yeah, I would wait a few months if you can and then buy Tiger (or even leopard if you want.) Whatever you do, be sure to upgrade the RAM. You'll want at least 1GB of RAM, so keep that in mind.
  5. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    The only way to get 1GB of ram into the ole eMac is to get two 512's right? That's a big chunk of change.
    I want to upgrade as cheaply as I can and get the most out of it as I can. I also have an ibook so the eMac isn't my only computer.
    I don't think I'd put Leopard on it. The highest I would go would be Tiger. Then after that, I'd be ready for a new computer - waaaay down the road sometime.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    No, if it is the USB 2.0 DDR model, it will take 1 Gb DDR PC2700 DIMMs.
    The USB 1.1 PC133 models naturally are limited to 512 Mb PC133 DIMMs.
  7. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    I have no idea. I'll have to check. Would I find that info in System profiler?
  8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    This is very similar to this thread, yes you check the RAM speed in System Profiler, 333Mhz is PC2700, 133Mhz is PC133.
  9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    Yeah, it really depends on what model you have. I think leopard will run great on that machine, but then again, it's up to you. For leopard or tiger though, you're gonna wanna look into a ram upgrade.