Upgrading B & W G3 to panther

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macpoops, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I am trying to upgrade a friends B & W G3. The actual install process went off wihtout a hitch. When i went into the setup phase the computer now locks up everytime. I restarted after the first time and have tried several approachs. I upgraded all the firmware. It's a 450 G3 wit 384 megs of ram, spread over 3 sticks. An 8.5 gig HD (assuming it was a 10 before formatting and such) It is SCSI though, i upgraded the firmware for the card. From other research i assume assume this SCSI card is the problem. I can boot 9.2.2 without a problem i just can;t get Panther to work. Any ideas? Or is the only solution to replace the Drive with ATA and use the onboard ATA

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My Blue and White machine has the Ultra2SCSI card and 9GB drive directly from Apple. I have Panther on an ATA drive but haven't put it on the Ultra2SCSI drive yet. It doesn't scare me--the ATA drive and Jaguar always gave me problems--I just haven't done it.

The only time I've ever experienced a lock up with the machine, it had to do with USB devices. I would suggest, if you have USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse, that you disconnect them before attempting setup again.

3. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

nope just the keyboard and mouse. It's really odd though. I can get 2-3 clicks into the initial setup where it asks you languages and whenever i get to the Apple ID page and thats when it freezes. No beachball and no chane in the screen. The only way i know it's frozen is the fact that the mouse jumps around.

4. boristhespider macrumors newbie

I have upgraded four B&ws in the past year and the one common problem I had with all four machines was that the ram that had served without problem for years in os8 and os9 caused nothing but problems in osx. Either with jaguar or panther. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but
    that is the first place I would look. In all four machines I ended up chucking all of the ram sticks
    and putting in ram from Crucial. I got the idea for Crucial ram from the old apple B&W tech forum.
    Once the Crucial ram was in the crashes stopped and all four machines became solid as a rock in osx.
    I did this process one machine at a time trying to spend as little money as possible and each machine I upgraded had crashes and freezes until I changed out the ram.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying is try different combinations of the ram you have and see if you can get it to work. Maybe try one stick at a time to see if that changes the situation. I was always able to get certain combinations of my old ram to work well most of the time but still had annoying crashes every so often until I came to the conclusion about the old ram. Good luck on figuring out the problem. I know from experience that the B&Ws can be very finicky when you are trying out different things, but once you get them dialed in they are very dependable.

Also, if the machine is a rev 1 and you put an ata drive in you would be wise to use a pci ata controller card, as the onboard controller is problematic. You can read all about this at xlr8yourmac.com. There is a ton of info on the B&Ws there.