Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I'm looking into upgrading my old iMac with an SSD. Would a standard 3.5" to 2.5" SATA adapter such as this world for the upgrade?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yeah that definitely looks more like what I need. Thanks so much!
And don't forget that you will have to figure a way for controlling the HDD fan speed, since the temperature sensor used to control the hard drive fan speed is inside the hard drive used by Apple. It means that will have to download an app to control the fan speed, or to buy a sensor. This sensor is not available for late Macs, but according to "macsales.com" they have one you can use for late 2009-2010 iMacs.

This sensor is supposed to work with new HDDs or SSDs alike. The sensor and cable costs around $39.00, and the complete kit (suction cups, screwdrivers, and microfiber cloth) $49.99. I would buy the kit, since it costs around $10.00 more than just the sensor and cable.

I am controlling the fan speed of my late 2009 (10,1 system) with "SSD Fan Control", but in about a week will try the "macsales.com" sensor and see if it works as advertised.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
And don't forget that you will have to figure a way for controlling the HDD fan speed, since the temperature sensor used to control the hard drive fan speed is inside the hard drive used by Apple.

Not on the early 2009's, not unless OP's machine is different from mine. On my early 2009, the thermal sensor was stuck onto the hard drive with a bit of tape. I just took it off the hard drive and stuck it onto the new SSD, no fan problems two years later.

OP: if you're following the iFixit instructions, read the comments first and DO NOT detach the main display cable. It's the devil to get back on, and you don't really need to. You just need something to prop up the display while you work on the rest. (I think I used a couple books.)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not on the early 2009's, not unless OP's machine is different from mine. On my early 2009, the thermal sensor was stuck onto the hard drive with a bit of tape. I just took it off the hard drive and stuck it onto the new SSD, no fan problems two years later.

OP: if you're following the iFixit instructions, read the comments first and DO NOT detach the main display cable. It's the devil to get back on, and you don't really need to. You just need something to prop up the display while you work on the rest. (I think I used a couple books.)

Good news for the OP, then. Mine is a late 2009 (10,1 System), and the sensor is inside the hard drive.

Update about my late 2009 iMac and the HDD fan control sensor: as mentioned before, the late 2009-2010 iMac's hard drive does not have a fan temperature sensor outside. Instead it's built into the hard drive. I replaced the hard drive with 1TB SSD from Crucial, and was using "SDD Fan Control" to control the cooling fan. While SSD Fan control works very well controlling the fan speed, I decided to buy a "DIY Hard Drive Upgrade Kit for iMac 2009-2010, and use the included sensor instead of an app to control the now SSD Fan speed (former HDD speed control sensor).

The kit costs $49.00 and includes the following:
-OWC iMac fan control unit
-SATA online power cable (a wire harness with a sensor attached, plus a plug for the temperature control, plus a SATA connector)
-Nylon pry tool
-2 ea. Torx screwdrivers (T-8, and T10)
-Microfiber cloth
- 2 ea. screen removal suction cups

Since the sensor and cable alone costs $39.99, I decided to buy the kit. The entire project took approximately 10 minutes, at which time I powered the iMac, and then removed the "SDD Fan Control" app. Then I powered down the iMac and restarted. It was nice and quiet as before, so it seems the sensor does its job controlling the fan speed. The sensor is attached to approximately the center of the SDD housing with double-side tape.

Last edited:

JulianDevilleSmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Kurnell
I'm looking into upgrading my old iMac with an SSD. Would a standard 3.5" to 2.5" SATA adapter such as this world for the upgrade?

When I upgrade older iMacs I usually go for something close to this combo -

Ram: 2 x https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-8GB...440719?hash=item2a7e3b480f:g:oxQAAOSwk~ZaOyRR

SSD: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung...551553&hash=item4b3e9a12bb:g:TE8AAOSwz09auhId

OWC data doubler: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Owc-Dat...rentrq:7997ca021620aadc7bf8e16dfffda9e4|iid:1

and perhaps a processor update:

CPU: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-C...376516?hash=item4b3c02ff04:g:WaAAAOSwuuRaoit6

however, with regards to the CPU - I am aware that may only run the ram at 1066mhz rather than the FSB speed of 1333mhz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.