Upgrading from 10.1.5 to 10.3 -- help/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by eyeon, Apr 28, 2004.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

I have been running OSX 10.1.5 here on my work computer ever since I started work here, and I just got my boss to purchase an upgrade to 10.3... I am fairly familiar with Macs, but wanted to make sure I was doing everything right before I dove right in and updated something as significant as the OS. I have a lot of important files that I really do not want to lose, and was wondering if it was nessesary to backup my HD, or needed to make sure of anything beforehand.

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, back up all your important files. (You backup regularly anyway, right ;) ) Most definitely! Easiest way is if you have an extra firewire hard drive, otherwise you could back up to CD.

Then you want to repair all your permissions before you install. You can try doing an archive and install, but the best thing to do is a clean install (which will completely erase your hard drive, so you need to make sure you have all your apps/fonts/etc on disk, because you'll lose all of those as well). Good luck.

3. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I would recommend backing up your hd *regularly*. You never know when it might go bad. My girlfriend's hard drive in her iMac just died. She hadn't backed up at all, and so she lost everything. :(