Upgrading from 10.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miloUK, Jul 8, 2004.

1. miloUK macrumors newbie

Is it at all possible to upgrade from 10.1 on my iMac to Panther, with the Panther software installation disks i got with my new iBook? 10.1 is just a nightmare, and it seems silly that i would have to buy a seperate upgrade
    even though i already own it - any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers
    Milo

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

There should be no reason you couldn't since you could do a clean install of Panther from the same disk. The Panther disk is not a Jaguar to Panther upgrade.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think that's going to work. I think the install disks that come with new computers are not the same as the stand-alone "upgrade" kits. When you buy "panther," you get a system that's installable on any computer. When you buy a computer, you get a system that's only installable on that model.

One thing that might work is to clone your iBook's disk using something like Carbon Copy Cloner.

4. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

I'm not sure this makes sense, but does anyone else concur with this conclusion?

Bringing back this old thread because I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my brother's G4 iMac. He's got 10.1, and I was thinking of installing the 10.3 that came with my G5 iMac.

10.1 is really slow! :eek:

5. Bear macrumors G3

Is it possible? Maybe.

However, is it legal? No. The software that came with the iMac G5 is licensed for one copy, and for use specifically on that iMac G5.

A suggestion would be to wait for Tiger and get a Family Pack if that license applies to you. Be legal for only a few dollars more.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In any event, it isn't possible to do an upgrade install for anything other than 10.X to 10.X+1. This means you can upgrade 10.0.X to 10.1, 10.1.X to 10.2, 10.2.X to 10.3, etc. - but not 10.0.X to 10.2, 10.0.X to 10.3, or 10.1.X to 10.3. For those cases you must do an archive and install or erase and install.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Damn right.

8. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Oh. :(

I'm a little concerned that Tiger might be too slow on a G4.

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It won't be.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

By all accounts, Tiger will be FASTER than Panther. Save your pennies and wait for Tiger!