Upgrading from 10.2.8 to 10.3.??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrewferriby, May 20, 2005.

1. andrewferriby macrumors newbie

May 20, 2005

Does anyone know what i have to do to upgrade from 10.2.8 to the 10.3.?? (not sure of the last bit)!

Its for my Ibook g3 dual usb!

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I feel like i'm in the twilight zone! -Like going back in time!
    Please post more specs of your machine (a screenshot of the system profiler would be easy). You really need 256MB+ RAM for 10.3 for starters
  3. andrewferriby thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2005
    its a standard ibook 12.1" ibook with 128 ram currently running on 10.2.8
  4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    As James Philp told you, 256 MB is the bare minimum RAM. You really ought to pop for 512 MB RAM. The other thing is that you have to buy MacOS X 10.3. However, that OS is nearly two years old now. If you have the hard disk space, go with MacOS X 10.4.
  5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    There's nothing wrong with Panther for that machine--I haven't heard much about the speed of Tiger on G3s. And if you do get Tiger, you'll either need to find a DVD drive to install from (unless your iBook has one built-in), or go through the hassle to get the CD set.

In any case, as said, you NEED more RAM. I'm surprised you've even got 10.2.8 running on 128MB--it must be painfully slow. I've found 160MB to be the bare minimum on 10.2, and I wouldn't even try 10.3 with under 256MB--it won't start to feel right till you give it at least 384MB.

You should be able to add 256MB for about $50, and 512MB for around $100, and that's probably going to make a bigger difference than the OS upgrade in terms of speed.

Once you've added some RAM, installing 10.3 should be very easy: Back up your data (to be safe), buy a copy (can be had quite cheap now), pop in the CD, follow the instructions. Might be worth doing an "Archive and Install", though I ran an "Upgrade" install for the full life of 10.3 without any major issues.

10.3 won't likely get you any more speed, but if you go straight to 10.3.9 you'll have a nice version of Safari and a pretty stable system.
  6. tfh1013 macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
    Somewhere, Overthere
    I have a 12" Late 2001 iBook also, with 384mb RAM, and it isn't that slow on tiger. I have about 1.8GB left on my harddrive, and the only thing that is slow is Quicktime 7. I really need a new computer, but i'm waiting for the next Powerbook rev. (Hopefully G5... Please-- No one start talking about how it isn't going to come out for 2 years and what not...)

But overall, my computer is quick enough for internet, word, and all the other normal stuff...