Upgrading from 10.3-10.4..precautions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CNU182, Feb 23, 2007.

1. CNU182 macrumors regular

Besides repairing the permissions before upgrading, are there any other precautions one might recommend? I have to do this to a few machines, and have only had to do a reinstall on my macbook once. Thanks in advance :)

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

I suggest using Onyx and run the maintenance tab from that. Also, if you have the means, backup any important data. (The transfer should smooth as glass, was for me, but you always want to have a backup just in case). Enjoy 10.4

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've done this many, many times, and there's only one tip to follow: BACK UP. ALWAYS.

Yes, it will probably go fine, but that fluke time when it doesn't, you'd better be ready.

I would also recommend doing an archive and install rather than an upgrade install; I'd done upgrades in the past, but that has a tendency to leave quirks for some reason.

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

It has always gone well for me, the advice about Onyx is very good, the advice about backing up your data is very important!

5. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

If you have the means to do a clone of your current HD you should. That way worst case scenario you can boot from the clone (make sure it is firewire) and re-clone your old HD like nothing ever happened....Most likely this would be unnecessary, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

6. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

agreed. also, you may just want to wait till leopard. it's up to you though.