Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I have a 2010 MBA 11" 128gb with Lion and a 30gb bootcamp partition, windows 7 x64, and the rEFIt boot menu.

I just bought the 2011 model with the same size drive.

Since I have numerous OSX and w7 programs installed, I'd like to know if there is a way to simply transfer my current configuration to the new MBA?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Migration Assistant will move your OS X applications, data, and settings over. Your new MacBook Air will walk you through the process when you get started. If you have a Wi-Fi network it can use that to connect your old Mac to your new Mac.

Moving Windows data will be a bit trickier. If you have an external hard drive, you can try backing it up and restoring it (though you'll need to reinstall Windows on your Boot Camp partition first.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
thanks for the suggestion on using migration assistant.

Would carbon copy cloner make a copy of the entire SSD (including the boot camp partition)?

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
thanks for the suggestion on using migration assistant.

Would carbon copy cloner make a copy of the entire SSD (including the boot camp partition)?

CC will only backup the OSX partition use disk utilities to create a disk image of your boot camp partition and restore after transfer...

note winclone no longer works so ensure disk image created ... :)

:D

dokindo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Here is the simplest way I found to do this that works:

1. back up using time machine on old mac
  2. make system image using w7 to ext drive
  3. use time machine to set up the new mac
  4. use boot camp assistant to make the partition and insert windows usb so when it restarts it boots from the windows usb drive
  5. use windows recovery tools to restore the system image made to the ext drive
  6. install refit

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Here is the simplest way I found to do this that works:

1. back up using time machine on old mac
  2. make system image using w7 to ext drive
  3. use time machine to set up the new mac
  4. use boot camp assistant to make the partition and insert windows usb so when it restarts it boots from the windows usb drive
  5. use windows recovery tools to restore the system image made to the ext drive
  6. install refit

I read somewhere that refit had also stopped working something to do with the hidden recovery partition.. does it work again ?

BTW if you go into windows 7 first and "Shrink The Volume" you can then restore it on your new box (you then know the smallest partition size) and Grow it if new partition larger than old.. if you want to stay on the safe side use disk utils to create a Disk Image of the Bootcamp Partition
which re[places "make system image using w7 to ext drive" above :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.