upgrading from 8.1 to 9.2 OS problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rossifumi, Mar 7, 2003.

1. rossifumi macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2003
    Dear All

I'm helping a mate out and as I am a Windows XP user I need a little help please. He's trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2 on a i mac, however, when he tries to install 9.2, it says you need to install the applicable firmware update. Can you please tell me what the correct firmware update is and does he need to install this before the OS install ? He can't access the net at the moment so this is why I'm posting the question.
    Also, when I download the relevent firmware for him then burn it onto a disc, is he gonna have a compatability problem trying to access the file off of the disc that has been burnt with Nero via my Windows XP OS ?

Look forward to anyones comments.

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    You should try to burn the disk with plain ISO 9660 if you can. If you burn it with Joliet, there is an extension for Joliet file system which may work with 8.1. Otherwise the Mac will show cryptic file names. It should still work, I think; you may have to use FileTyper to correct the hidden filetype/creator codes.

If he has a USB floppy drive you might give him the update on a floppy. It should fit.
  3. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    calgary, ab canada
    you may want to try the intermediate steps through 8.5 or installing 9.0. or better yet, back everything up wipe the drive and install a fresh operating system with 9.x.
    you should have no problem installing 9.x on anything other than really old computers IILC's and the like.
  4. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't think that will work...it will still ask for the firmware update.

No offense, but your solution of 'wipe the drive and re-install' sounds very much like standard PC troubleshooting...you should never have to wipe the drive.

What is firmware? Look here

I agree with the solution by cubist!