Upgrading from iLife 05 to 06

Discussion in 'macOS' started by finalcoolman, Feb 19, 2006.

1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Thinking of upgrading especially since it is so cheap with a student discount, so I'll be buying it at the campus store tommorow, just one question though. How does the install work? Will it upgrade and REPLACE iLife 05. Or will it install in addition to iLife 05? Now the last thing I want is to have two different versions of every iLife program, a redundant 05 and an 06. If that's the case I might as well start working on uninstalling iLife 05 right now so its ready for 06 when I come back home from school tommorow. So ya that's my question.

Also I am thinking of MAYBE getting iWork 06 too. Decided since I use them both I may want to upgrade both at the same time. So then if I do decide also on upgrading iWork, will it replace or install in parallel? Thanks,

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The iWork '06 installation took over the iWork folder that had iWork '05 in it. I would expect that the individual applications of iLife '06 will overwrite those from earlier versions, as long as the the version change is appropriate.

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Out with the old;in with the new;the data lives on.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yes, I did exactly that. I had 05, installed 06 over it, and it kept all the data. Easy peasy. I love how easy Apple makes it to upgrade apps :)!

5. finalcoolman thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it will keep your saved data, but will it get rid of the old apps?

6. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

Put simply... yes!

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Yes - if they are living in the default applications folder (i.e. where iLife '05 installed them). I recently upgraded from an older version of iLife to '06, but had moved the applications themselves to subfolders. In this case, the newer versions were installed in the Applications folder without touching the previous versions, so I had two of each. This wouldn't have happened if they had been in the Applications folder. As jacobj and OldCorpse say, they would be deleted in this case.

It wasn't really a problem to go back and trash the older versions of the apps, and no data was lost at all, but to be safe, I would ensure that all Apple apps are kept where Apple want them to be kept.