Upgrading from OS 9 to OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dane D., Jan 4, 2006.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I was given the go ahead on upgrading our Macs. A couple of questions concerning OS X and licenses. I maintain eight Macs (4-G4 Desktops, 2-G3 iMacs, 1-G4 PowerBook 667). Which version of OS X to purchase Panther or Tiger? How many OS X do I need to purchase or can I purchase one and install on all? My plan is to install an second internal HD which I can load OS X onto and still be able to boot off existing internal HD for OS 9. Also concerned about RAM, the iMacs only have 384MB (128+256), used as email and internet browsing, PDF files for client approval. The desktop units and PowerBook run Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat, have 2@512MB, 640MB, 896MB and 1.7GB would more RAM help? Open to suggestions.:confused:

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

All of your Macs have sufficient RAM for OS X.

All should run the latest version -- Tiger -- with one possible exception.

The tray-loading G3 iMacs will not run Tiger, but they will run Panther. The slot-loading iMacs will run Tiger. So it depends upon what revision iMacs you use. Keep your tasks to a minimum on the G3 iMacs considering they only have 384mb.

You'll need to purchase licenses for every Mac.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, unless HD space is an issue, you can go ahead and install OSX on the internal drives. You can still boot back into OS9 if you wish.

EDIT: The point is, you don't need a separate volume.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I would go for Tiger.

You'll need to buy a license for each computer, and Apple sells a Family Pack which I think has 4-5 licenses. Alternately you can ask Apple what they will do for you, I imagine they will sell you 8 licenses.

But the iMacs may need to run Panther, as others have said.

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just was reading Apple's OS X page...

Just was reading Apple's OS X page and the Family Pack (5 licenses) is the best deal but we are a business and according to the page that is frowned on. I would the additional HDs because our files are quite large and the extra space would be nice to have. I checked all the machines and only one doesn't have a DVD drive. So I checked OWC's site and they sell SuperDrives, is this a straight swap on a Digital Audio G4/466? The iMacs are running OS 10.2.8 and OS 9.2.2 (G3/500), they could move to Panther without a hitch I assume. One other concern is QuarkXPress v6.x, is it problematic? We currently have v4.11 and 10 years worth of QuarkXPress files. I've read other peoples' comments and talked to some pre-press guys, seems to be all over the place.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Answering what I can:

The DVD-R110 that OWC is selling is not 100% natively supported under OS X. It will function fine as a DVD-ROM. But in order to burn discs you will need to either use Toast or Dragon Burn, or install the PatchBurn utility which will allow native burning (I think; make sure you read this info page thoroughly before buying). It's not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

EDIT: Not sure but all these compatibility issues may have been solved with Tiger...anybody to confirm?

I have a Pioneer DVR-107D in my Digital Audio tower. It is not a dual-layer DVD burner but it is 100% compatible with OS X, as is (I believe) the Pioneer DVR-108. If you can find one of these new they should work as well.

If you need to run Quark in the real OS 9 (not Classic), you can always make the Mac that runs it dual-boot. That way you can boot into 9 when needed.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yeah, the family pack isn't intended for businesses.

Yes. It should work no problem with Tiger. If you decide to run Panther, you might need a program called patchburn.