Upgrading hard drive in powerbook, restore data?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 61132, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Guest

Ok, so I bought a new 7200rpm hard drive for my powerbook. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow. My question is this, once I take out the original drive, how do I restore all of the data? Isnt there an option in disk utility to "restore from", I think I have seen it. Anyways, my old drive will be in a USB enclosure, so booting from it will not be possible. I know you can insert the osx disk during bootup and you can start disk utility from there. Any help would be great, as I really cannot be without my powerbook that long.

Thanks!!!!

2. macrumors regular

3. thread starter Guest

I really do not want to pay for something I do not have to though. Doesn't osx have a restore tab that I can just say, restore to this hd, from that hd? It is in disk utility when you boot from the cd.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Why not do a clean install and then use the inbuilt Migration Assistant to get your settings and files back from the external drive. :)

5. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^indeed...they already offer something good.

Bless

6. thread starter Guest

just figured it would be easier just to clone the disk, and I have heard of some problems using migration assistant

7. macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I used carbon copy cloner without any problems just recently
    on my powerbook. Its donation ware.

8. thread starter Guest

Well finished the upgrade before I left for vacation. Worked out well, I can see a huge difference in apps like photoshop or iphoto, and browsing in finder is a lot faster too. Turns out, I just bought an mobile external hard drive at staples, plopped my old drive in it, and used the "restore" feature from the os x DVD. Then I just returned the external hard drive after I was done. I have seen a small decrease in battery life, but turning off bluetooth fixes that. If I were to have the choice to do it again, I would.