Upgrading Hardware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tim117, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Tim117 macrumors regular

With a MacBook OS X 10, am I able to open up the machine so the hardware can be upgraded? Of coarse, I'de give it to a professional to do it for me.

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

There is very little that can really be upgraded in a MacBook, and most of these items can be replaced without major effort.

1. Memory - Remove the battry - unscrew metal "L" on the insid of the battry bay - remove old memory hidden behind the long side of the "L" - insert new memory - replace "L" pannel - Insert battry.

2. Hard Disk - Remove the battry - unscrew metal "L" on the insid of the battry bay - pull out drive carrier hidden hidden behind the short side of the "L" - remove old drive from carrier - insert new drive - slide carrier back into place - replace "L" pannel - Insert battry.

3. Optical Drive - Disassembel entire MacBook - Reassemble with now optical drive.

1 and 2 can probably be done yourself - though the new components would not be covered by any warrenty or Apple Care cover.

The MacBook Pro is a bit more involved as far as these upgrades go.

No other components can be upgraded - being hardwired together. The CPU cannot be replaced. Neither can the MacBook Pro's graphics chip/card.

3. Tim117 thread starter macrumors regular