Upgrading iBook G3 for Gaming

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OlyWaFox, Oct 13, 2005.

1. OlyWaFox macrumors newbie

Hi-

Before I am ostracized by the Mac gaming community, I must enter the contemporary age- I must... upgrade!!!!

Sorry to be so dramatic. My real motivation is to have a higher quality gaming (and video) experience. I would love to upgrade the iBook G3- here's the specs, as they are now. Please let me know what I might.

iBook G3 PowerPC 750 (900 MHZ)
    OS X 10.3.9
    128 MB built-in RAM, one more slot open (not sure what capacity???)
    14" LCD Display, Resolution: 1024x768
    Graphics Card: Rage M7 (Radeon 7500) w/ 32MB VRAM
    2 USB ports, 1 FireWire port
    CDW/DVD Drive (not sure what the specs are, but almost every movie I try to play in it skips... is it possible to replace this???).

Let me know what I could upgrade, and what I'm stuck with.

Thanks,

Nick

2. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

ram is all you can do, 512 MB if im not mistaken

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Yeah laptops are not upgradeable at all almost. Another thing you could get is a faster HD.

4. OlyWaFox thread starter macrumors newbie

Memory's all I get, eh??? No peripheral upgrades??? No USB port graphics accelerators??? Perhaps I can glue a G5 tower to the back of my iBook. Yeah, that otta work.

Well, if memory is my only option, I'll go for it. Where can I find memory (preferably cheap), and how will I know it's compatible???

Thanks,
    Nick

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Honestly?

Okay...seriously here...

Ram will help, sure. You will experience less slowdown when running multiple apps and it should help on some games.

But, depending on what type of games you want to play, there is nearly NO way you are going to be able to upgrade your G3 iBook into anything resembling today's gaming machines.

Most games (popular ones, anyway) require a faster video card and heftier processor than you currently have.

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Install mac OS9 and play all the free games that are out for that platform. Apart from that buy a new iMac, they are sweet for gaming now :D

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What games are you planning on running on this "jacked up machine"

so we can either laugh, cry or be astounded.

8. MacTurtle macrumors member

(chuckle) that's not so bad really.... If you bump the ram, it will even play World of Warcraft. Just don't expect much in framerates. ;)

My 400mhz b&w g3 with 768? meg of ram and a radeon 7500 pci vid card (at least I think it's a 7500) pulls around 15 fps or so in the woods when I'm grinding on things, now Ironforge isn't funny. fps goes to heck in a handbasket there. :)

More memory will also help with watching movie's on the dvd drive. The skipping is because you are just way too low on memory.

Good luck!

Mitch

9. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

You can probably play Quake 1//2/3 on it and Warcraft 2, but not any recent title.

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

my first apple was a 900mhz g3 ibook, but with 640 MB ram. When I bought it i new then it was not a gaming machine. Nearly three years later it is for sure not a gaming machine. If I where you i'd look for >2 year old games.

It was a great dev machine, great for the road, but really kinda sucked for gaming. (edit) even when it was new