Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royaletea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Minneapolis
[Update: I'm pretty much set on doing this, and have some time before actually installing anything. Also, one of my friends knows how to install RAM so I'll be having him do it. Thanks a lot for all the help though; made the process/choice a lot simplier]

I have an iBook G4 running at 1.2 GHz with 512MB Ram, and I'm thinking about upgrading the Ram a bit; for that extra boost. I'm not confident enough to install the Ram myself; nor do I know of any friends who could do it. Anyhow, does anyone know of a shop located in Minneapolis (or the surrounding area) which would be able to do this?

I want to upgrade a bit before installing Leopard sometime in November. Any help would be good, thanks.

royaletea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Minneapolis
Thanks for the link and the suggestion of the RAM; I'll take a look and see if I feel okay about doing it on my own.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I have a 1gHz G4 ibook. About a year ago I went from 512mb to 1.2gb. It's like a whole new machine. I totally suggest it.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
You can absolutely do it yourself. It is extremely simple. There is only ONE thing I'd tell you in the way of experience: snapping the RAM module in place may require a bit more force from you than your intuition may tell you. In other words, don't be afraid that you are breaking something: once you've established that the module is in the correct position, then push hard enough until it snaps into place. It's super easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.