Upgrading iBook Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JonHimself, Apr 21, 2005.

1. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Now this is all hypothetical and based on the assumption that the next iBook upgrades include a better graphics card (64mb ram for CoreImage?). If this does in fact happen, would it be possible to repace the current card in the G4 ibooks with one of the new ones? Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part but I'd like to be able to do this.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

no they are soldered right onto the motherboard (mainboard). You're just outta luck. Some of the "desktop replacement" laptops in the PC world allow upgrades now. They aren't cheap though. It's like a battery, they plugin and out, nice but it would increase the size of the machine quite drastically, and like i said desktop replacement PC machines (typically the "gaming" laptops).

3. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think all the portables and even the Mini as well have the graphics chip built into the logic board, along with the CPU and whatnot, so essentially it's not removable or upgradable (not sure about the iMac but wouldn't be surprised if that was the same). i believe the only components that are upgradable in apple laptops are bluetooth, wireless, hard drive, optical drive, and ram of course. but it can be quite a feat to replace some of those things (at least, it sounds like a pain to me). i would think most PC laptops have the graphics chip built into the logic/mother board as well, though i read that nVidia has a technology out called MXM that turns the graphics stuff into a module that it can be taken out and upgraded and stuff, though i'm not sure if it'll really catch on.

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Just incase anyone else was wondering, you are correct about the iMac, the graphics chip set is soldered to the logic board and is not replaceable.

5. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

****** deal I guess... oh well, I can always wait. I just made the jump the Apple in November with the iBook, I suppose I still need to replace my PC desktop to complete the switch? :D

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Because of these thing I don't understand why they don't make slots for adding VRAM :rolleyes:

7. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Its called sell it on ebay and buy a new one. Its just like paying for more Vram. Ebay prices for macs are insane.

8. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Insane in a good or bad way? ha... will I get more than I expect or less? I'll take a look for myself as well. Thanks for the advice!

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It hasn't been possible to upgrade the video cards in PowerBooks in quite a while.

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Upgrading GFX memory like RAM would be a nightmare. They all use modified versions of DDR, or DDR2, or GDDR. Good in theory but impossible in reality. And yeah, the only people likely to care about upgrading the GFX *are* those gamer laptop people.