Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I'm having the one of those new iMac (used to be a PC user) and would like to upgrade something with my iMac. Its the 20" 2.4ghz 320gb 2gb and ATi graphic card. Beside the memories and hdd are upgradable, is there any other like the video to Nvidia? Not so sure about the iMac. Thanks for the help.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Only the RAM is user upgradable, the HDD can be upgraded but voids the warranty and I don't believe you can upgrade the video card (maybe you can but it would be a more complicated process than upgrading the hard drive which seems fairly complicated already)

vhtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Only the RAM is user upgradable, the HDD can be upgraded but voids the warranty and I don't believe you can upgrade the video card (maybe you can but it would be a more complicated process than upgrading the hard drive which seems fairly complicated already)

Thanks for the quick response. I just wanna make sure it is doable before i open it. If it is, then will be an easy thing for me since that I have been a computer tech for pc, notebooks and servers (except Mac) for at least 10years now. Thanks again!

Have anyone else upgrade the video?

Bad Paper

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
graphite clamshell
Really? I was under the impression that taking apart the computer (like what is needed to replace the HDD) would void the warranty
I verified this with Apple. If you don't believe me, do it yourself.

If changing the HDD voided the warranty, they would slap a "no user-serviceable parts inside" sticker on the machine.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I verified this with Apple. If you don't believe me, do it yourself.

If changing the HDD voided the warranty, they would slap a "no user-serviceable parts inside" sticker on the machine.

I believe you, like I said I had just heard differently, but it was nothing official just heard it from someone else on MR. I was thinking about switching the HD out on my iMac but warranty doesn't really matter since I didn't get AppleCare and the 1 year limited warranty has run out.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
changing the HD does not void the warranty, unless you break something while doing it.

And you can't upgrade the video.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Is that the same situation with the White iMacs? Wanted to know before I opened it.

vhtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
WoW ! a lot of responses. Thanks guys, sucks that can not upgrade the video. Guess that I have to find a cheap pair of 2x2gb from NewEgg or some other place. For the HDD, my 320gb still have some space left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.