Upgrading Jaguar with the Supplied (Panther) disk

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by oyoudo, Jul 6, 2004.

1. oyoudo macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2004
    I don't know if anyone has any experience with this. If any of you has I'd like to know if its okay to upgrade an existing setup of Jaguar to Panther and keep all the apps and stuff in harmony?

What it is, my father has a 17" pb running Jaguar mainly for editing movies with iMovie and iDvd. I, on the other hand, have a newer 15" pb running Panther. Both OS's on the machines were set up using the disks that come with them.

As the 17" pb my father uses was originally mine, and since I've been using Panther on my 15" for a time now, I think its probably better to have expose and all the other slicker features.

So do I upgrade his machine using my bundled disk? Or will Panther reduce the old installed apps, like iDVD, useless.

And furthermore, what happens later when the apps themselves (classic, iDVD etc) need a restore. Will the disk for Jaguar that has the extra sofware on it work in the newly upgraded Panther OS. Because these disks (only the extras, disk 2) seem to work only on the precise machine they were bundled with. Other wise I could just upgrade his with my disk, then throw in the extras into the newly updated architecture.

Am I right in my thinking that his old apps (iDVD etc) will still work fine under the newly upgraded OS? If I am right, and I think I am, (I tried opening the older versions over an airport network and they opened up in Panther just fine) then that would just leave the tricky issue of the extras cd for future restoration.

I don't want to go ahead and frag the hell out of all his home movies, so any help would be mightily appreciated.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    First off, using your disks is a violation of the license agreement. So go out and buy the real thing. After that, I would reccomend an Archive and Install. It should keep all the programs and settings intact and you should still be able to use the programs that were there before. It would be wise to back everything up before doing any of this as any install can go wrong.
  3. oyoudo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2004
    As the zen master says:

never buy a panther when a tiger is around the corner

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    When you're right you're right. I'm going to go steal a 2004 Ford Mustang this afternoon. Why buy an '04 when the '05s are around the corner. I love this selective zen stuff.
  5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....Tiger is up to 12 months away - remember - he said "first half of 2005" so it could ship as late as June next year.....oh yeah!
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    [assuming you have obtained a legit copy of Panther]

The upgrade won't mess up the apps you mention. The iLife stuff isn't updated at all by the Panther disks. I updated my G5 and everything worked fine. As mentioned, backup what you fear losing, esp. prefs and other Library folder stuff, and have fun.
  7. oyoudo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2004
    Decent responces

I think my father'll just have to wait 12 months then, as I don't have a legit disk for use on his machine. Remember I'm the one who has all the extra functionality. He doesn't. So what he doesn't have he won't miss.
    Plus the spotlight and widgit features on Tiger (whenever it comes out) should be more of a wow-leap for him than the little extras Panther adds to Jaguar.

Take care