Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azdeathsniper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
So I purchased the new Mac Pro the moment they went on sale. At the time, I ordered it with the 512gb SSD thinking it would be enough.

Well, between a 150gb Boot Camp partition and the remainder used for OS X, I have decided I want to get the 1TB SSD.

Only problem is that despite the part being user replaceable, Apple does not offer to sell it, nor do several of the authorized Apple service centers I have called.

I am hoping someone here has heard of a way of replacing the internal drive and can provide some advice.

BTW - I have plenty of external drive space with both Thunderbolt drives and a very large NAS.

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
So I purchased the new Mac Pro the moment they went on sale. At the time, I ordered it with the 512gb SSD thinking it would be enough.

Well, between a 150gb Boot Camp partition and the remainder used for OS X, I have decided I want to get the 1TB SSD.

Only problem is that despite the part being user replaceable, Apple does not offer to sell it, nor do several of the authorized Apple service centers I have called.

I am hoping someone here has heard of a way of replacing the internal drive and can provide some advice.

BTW - I have plenty of external drive space with both Thunderbolt drives and a very large NAS.

I upgraded my 256gb late 2013 with a 1T samsung pci-e ssd last week.

Please keep in mind that I'd rather have bought one from OWC, but they don't have any yet; it's been almost a year, and I haven't seen or heard anything indicating that the situation is changing any time soon. so....

I bought it off a guy called sputnik on Ebay.

search for: Apple Samsung 1TB SSD w/Heatsync

and new mac pro late 2013

Model number: MZ-KPU1T0T/0A1
Part Number: 655-1810C
Link Width: x4 Lane Module
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

They are new... They are made by Samsung. They have the correct part number on them.

he also sells them without the heat sync, a bit cheaper, but when you take yours off it has a heatsink on it, so I'd stick with the one with the heatsink. The non-heatsync ones are for the new macbook pros. Same pcie ssd's.

You have to format the stick once it's installed. Since it's not formatted, the easiest thing to do is to install a copy of Mavericks on a thumb drive before you start messing around. http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html Then format the new SSD with that, and then either do a backup install or do a clean install of Mavericks.

Mine works great... though just like anything on eBay, ymmv.

Removing the old SSD and putting in the new one is dumb easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl2GbNdDoQ

Last edited:

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Currently available at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4CUI02/. Comes and goes so if not available now will likely be in future. I got 1 on order. It has the heatsink for the Mac Pro unlike most of the ones listed on eBay.

I still find it hard to believe that you can't buy these SSD's in the normal channels. I bought one from eBay several months ago for my Mac Pro; works fine and I've had no problems.

However, if you buy this for a Macbook Pro; you have to remove the heatsink. I've been told that the heatsink is hard to remove and you can damage the SSD..

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Get one without the heatsink if not for Mac Pro

I still find it hard to believe that you can't buy these SSD's in the normal channels. I bought one from eBay several months ago for my Mac Pro; works fine and I've had no problems.

However, if you buy this for a Macbook Pro; you have to remove the heatsink. I've been told that the heatsink is hard to remove and you can damage the SSD..
There are plenty of the /0A2 and /0A6 models that don't have the heatsink available on eBay and occasionally on Amazon. Don't bother getting a /0A1 version, the only one with a heatsink, if not putting it in a Mac Pro. I was originally considering getting one without the heatsink and moving the existing heatsink from my 250GB SSD but figured I would probably destroy the module trying to remove it.

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
There are plenty of the /0A2 and /0A6 models that don't have the heatsink available on eBay and occasionally on Amazon. Don't bother getting a /0A1 version, the only one with a heatsink, if not putting it in a Mac Pro. I was originally considering getting one without the heatsink and moving the existing heatsink from my 250GB SSD but figured I would probably destroy the module trying to remove it.

You wouldn't be able to transfer heatsinks anyway. The 1tb ssd is wider than the 256gb and 512gb.

From all online accounts, nobody has had problems with using the SSD without a heatsink...including myself!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Well, this thread has to do with with replacement SSDs for the nMP. And my post is another option, although Transcend is another third party manufacturer that will also have an option soon. Do you have some sort of a problem with my post?

Lou

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
^^^^Well, this thread has to do with with replacement SSDs for the nMP. And my post is another option, although Transcend is another third party manufacturer that will also have an option soon. Do you have some sort of a problem with my post?

Lou

I wouldn't have if the pointer to the other discussion had given the above context. As it stands a pointer by itself is just saying what is here is redundant and the other thread is where we should be talking about this.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I wouldn't have if the pointer to the other discussion had given the above context. As it stands a pointer by itself is just saying what is here is redundant and the other thread is where we should be talking about this.

Maybe you should look at title of this thread. Hard to imagine Lou's link being anything but useful when that is considered.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I put one up for sale with the heatsink in the Marketplace forum, btw.

I and my clients have been getting them from Korea for a pretty good price, almost £100 less than yours and touch wood none so far have been clobbered like from the states.

I will bear that in mind you still have it when a client needs one fast, I'd assumed you got rid easily. And I'm on the hunt for a 256 blade here cheap, possible 1tb swap deal is on the cards ;)

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I look forward to what Transcend will offer. I feel hopeful it will be a full 4 lane part. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $750 or more for something on eBay with no guarantee whatsoever.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I look forward to what Transcend will offer. I feel hopeful it will be a full 4 lane part. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $750 or more for something on eBay with no guarantee whatsoever.

I haven't had a broken one yet - native trim and the second gen blade is mind bogglingly quick. Plus if it's DOA on arrival ebay refund rules apply though returning it can be costly. Transcend is fine for the budget upgrades for the notebooks but for performance I seriously doubt they will get to par with even the 1st gen blade.

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
You wouldn't be able to transfer heatsinks anyway. The 1tb ssd is wider than the 256gb and 512gb.

From all online accounts, nobody has had problems with using the SSD without a heatsink...including myself!

I don't have the heatsink either. So far so good.

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014

Please keep in mind that I'd rather have bought one from OWC, but they don't have any yet; it's been almost a year, and I haven't seen or heard anything indicating that the situation is changing any time soon. so....

They are new... They are made by Samsung. They have the correct part number on them.

he also sells them without the heat sync, a bit cheaper, but when you take yours off it has a heatsink on it, so I'd stick with the one with the heatsink. The non-heatsync ones are for the new macbook pros. Same pcie ssd's.

You have to format the stick once it's installed. Since it's not formatted, the easiest thing to do is to install a copy of Mavericks on a thumb drive before you start messing around. http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html Then format the new SSD with that, and then either do a backup install or do a clean install of Mavericks.

Removing the old SSD and putting in the new one is dumb easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl2GbNdDoQ

What kinds of speeds are you getting with the MZ-JPU512T/0A2?

----------

I have the 2013 Mac Pro and ordered the base model. The 256GB SSD works for me but I would like at least a 512GB. Right now my speed tests are around 900mb. I just want to make sure MZ-JPU512T/0A2 receives similar speeds?

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I don't have the heatsink either. So far so good.

:cool: I have no doubts these will be ok long term.
Gotta love these speeds!

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    734.7 KB · Views: 978

jojo8888

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015

Removing the old SSD and putting in the new one is dumb easy.

Hello to all out there,

Need some advice/recommendations/comments please! much appreciated. I am looking to upgrade my current Mac Pro (purchased in Dec 2014 black cylinder model) (currently fitted with original 256gb ssd) with a 1TB drive as it is now very low on storage with red indicator.

These are some of the sellers I found on eBay selling the 1TB Apple-Samsung SSDs:
(1) http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/171808350986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
(2) http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/151701291455?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
(3) http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/281711424100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I found it very strange why the model numbers and part numbers do not seem to tally amongst the sellers:
As per photos from (1), "MZ-KPV1T00/0A4 655-1860F (Date 2015.02)"
(2) and (3) show "MZ-KPV1T00/0A3 655-1860D (Date 2015.03)"
According to my understanding, these are revision numbers but why is a Feb version having a much newer revision than the March version?

Also, these SSDs do not seem to have the heatsinks attached, is it crucial?

I thought Apple does not sell its SSDs, why are there so many pieces available for sale on eBay and Amazon? I am worried that are these SSDs RMA products from the factory?

Anyone has any experience with any sellers in the market which is trustable with genuine products?

All comments are welcome Please, thanks so much in advance!

Grumbo1066

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.