Upgrading Mini Hard drive: Void warranty?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Winstonp, Mar 7, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Does it void the warranty?

I have the 40gigger, and I'm considering putting a 7200 80gig in it and using the present drive as an external.

any tips?

2. macrumors 6502

A Definite.........Maybe

If you perform the upgrade yourself, very probably will void warrenty. (Switch back in the original if you have a problem, might be able to get away with it)

Have an Apple certified service center swap the drive, very probably won't void warrenty. Possibly still will, if the heat output of the new drive is beyond capacity of the mini to deal with.

3. macrumors 6502

I'd agree. An Apple Service Center will be able to do an upgrade without voiding the warranty, but I might recomend putting a 7200 rpm drive in there. In a machine that small I could definatily see heat issues. If Apple could have safely put a 7200 RPM drive in there they probabily would have.

4. macrumors 601

ftaok

There are many threads that say that certain 7200 RPM drives don't output any more heat than 4200 drives. Heat is definately not the reason that 7200 RPM drives weren't used in the mini. $$ was the reason.

5. macrumors 6502

DIY MacMini mods...

Check this out, here
    Good Reference! :D

6. macrumors regular

Does anybody make a 7200rpm 2.5" drive??

Normally the 5400RPM is considered the top drive to get in portable drives.

7. macrumors 601

ftaok

Plenty of manufacturers make 7200 rpm 2.5" drives. Just about all of the manufacturers do.