Upgrading my blueberry rev d

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bkrell, Dec 17, 2006.

1. bkrell macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2006
    I have the rev d tray loader and am contemplating the sonnet harmoni or daystar g4 upgrades. The Daystar replaces the standard g3 333 with a g4 400 mhz.. The Harmoni goes to a 600 mhz g3 with firewire. I've had this computer since 1999 and just use it for web surfing and iPhoto. However, if I had firewire, I would consider some basic iMovie stuff....

The only real reason for this upgrade is that youtube videos go VERY slow even with my ram maxed out. Should I retire this classic or will these upgrades help. Anyone got experience with either? They both cost about the same (around $200) except the daystar requires you send in the motherboard....
  2. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    wow a '99 blueberry imac

is it time to retire?
    a lot depends on your financial situation and your frustration level

if you want to go "new new" you are looking at shelling out over 1000 (imac)
    refurb or e-bay you can get decent machines from 500 and up

i do have a friend who also uses her colored imac from the late 90's (not sure on color) she recently upgraded to DSL from dialup!

if your machine does what you want- then keep it and stay happy
    it sounds, however, as if you are questioning things- and wanting to 'move on' per say

i'd get a new machine rather than upgrading an exsisting machine
    the benifits are great-

however- i'd wait till the new os comes out (leopard- rumored in feb)
    so- hang on till mid spring- then do a total splurge
    this would allow you to start saving up, planning ahead carefully financially, and getting together over 1000 for a new machine

personally i'd recommend the upper level 17" iMac
    which starts at 1199+tax

a great all round machine and will last you another 5-10 years if you continue to respect your machines the way it sounds like you have w/ the blueberry

personally, however, i'd keep the blueberry for nostalgia and keep using it
    or pass it on to a family member who could use some basic browsing
  3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    It really isn't worth it to spend that much money to upgrade a machine with a G3 processor which won't even support leopard when it comes out. I recently saw a 700Mhz 15" iMac G4 for sale on LEM Swap for 265+ shipping. If I were you though, I would probably hold out and save up some money to buy either a refurbished or a used intel mac.
  4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
    I just bought a g4 imac from a ebaystore and its much faster then my macbook.....not bad for 350.00 and it has bluetooth adp, and airport....love the style...
  5. bkrell thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2006
    Lol, what is bad is I bought this in August of 99 as my first foray back into Apple after ditching them in the 80s. I had found memories of the Classic and other all-in-one Macs, though and used them periodically in college. But I was a Win95 guy all the way! When Apple began to sell at Sears, I was intrigued and broke down. Then 2 months later the slot loaded 350 DV came out! I was MAD!!!

But it's been a great time and since upgrading my internet to cable then dsl (I found dsl to load a LOT faster) I haven't really noticed the slowness. When I have iPhoto and something else open, things bog down, but otherwise....youtube and video apps are my only big issues. As for upgrading OS's, I run 10.2.8 The machine came with 8.6 and I upgraded to 9 when it came out. It was a definate improvement....But OSX did nothing but slow my machine down....Not until I upgraded to 288 mbs of ram did things get better..... But I hadn't even thought of it as an OLD computer until maybe a year ago!

But it works so right I've only seldom thought of replacing it....It ran photoshop faster than any windows pc I'd used until I got a 3 gig P4 Dell with 1 gig of ram at work! My financial situation is okay but by next fall it will be 10000% better as my wife goes into private practive, lol! I guess I'll keep her going until then and splurge on a new machine......

I'll miss the color, though!

Maybe a white iBook will be an okay substitute....