Upgrading my g4 733 quicksilver Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by drizahy4, Jun 18, 2004.

1. drizahy4 macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    Hello All,

I was looking into getting a new hard drive for my G4 because 40Gigs just Aint doing it for cuz IMovie takes up a lot of space. Now I was looking into getting this drive

SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP1604N, OEM Drive Only

Model# SP1604N

Capacity: 160GB
    Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
    Buffer: 2MB
    Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    Features: Fluid Dynamic Bearing Spindle Motor Technology
    Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
    Packaging: OEM Drive Only

or something of that sort...
    Anyway the quicksilver I had came with a ATA/66 if im not mistaken.
    Now for my questions

1) Do you think the drive is any good?
    2) when I do get a hard drive would it be better to use the new drive as my master drive considering it will have the ATA/133? (The quicksilver did come with ATA/133 so would it be worth doing that and putting my current drive as the slave)
    3) Do you think I will see any improvment in performance?

Thanks for all the help.

PS the drive above is going for $91.00
  2. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    IIRC, you'll need a seperate ATA card for the QS to see a drive over 120gb.
  3. drizahy4 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    well i've been looking at xlr8yourmac.com and alot of people who have tried hard drives over 120gigs with 10.2.x and have had no problems.

The link has the info.
  4. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    your quicksilver has ata 66 not 133 it will work in osx and os 9 but os 9 will only see the first 128GB of data
  5. drizahy4 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    hey guys sorry i brought back my old thread but i thought it would be better to keep it all together. Any way I got a new HD a WD 160Gb 7200 for $107 which I thought is not a bad deal...
    Anyway it has a 8Mb cache compared to the stock HD which has only a 2Mb cache.

I was thinking would it be better to run that as my Main drive and put my old one to slave? or does it not matter?
    Also should I run the OS off the new drive or should I leave it on the old one?

Im just trying to see what would be the norm for upgrading.

P.S. This is the first time I upgraded the hard drive on my mac did it on my pc plenty of times but I must say god I love how easy macs are to work with. 2 years old and still impresses me to this day.