Upgrading my iMac to USB 2.0 Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DangerDiabolik, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DangerDiabolik macrumors member

So...

I have a flat panel G4 iMac. It is just old enough to have USB 1 and Since the new iPod is USB 2.0 and since apple seems to be phasing out Firewire....Im wondering how difficult/expensive it would be to upgrade ( if its possible ) to have USB 2.0

any and all info would be great

:)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, the biggest problem you will have is that, in order to get a USB2 connection, you need a bus to hook into that is as fast as or faster than USB2. Your USB 1 ports obviously are not. Your ethernet port is not. You don't have PCI or Cardbus slots or anything like that.... So your only option would be a device that plugs into your firewire port and gives you USB ports. I did a quick search because I was curious ;) and I don't think such a thing exists, although I would be happy to be wrong....

3. jtown macrumors 6502

Not difficult at all. Pricing for this upgrade starts at USD$1299.

Seriously, tho, the imac doesn't have any upgrade paths. It is what it is and that's all that it is. If enough people complain to apple, maybe they'll return firewire support in a future generation of ipods.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Sorry, you don't have any upgrade options. You can still use the new iPods with your USB 1 iMac, it just takes longer to transfer your music.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Slow, though, and it may even time out on you.

6. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Can you just buy a firewire cable or does it not work at all?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It only works to charge it, you cannot sync via FW.

8. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

ARGH....

that what i thought....my new ipod video is fast enough on a usb 1, its not like im gonna be transfering gigs of data back and forth. Im just worried that somewhere down the line...things like extrernal harddrives wont be FW reday....

I just dont Apples drop of FW....very very dissapointing....

9. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

eh....i havent had any problems. People want to tell you that 10 songs will take 4 hours. . On my machine 100 megs takes about 60 seconds. Not blazing...but certainly not frozen.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you sure about this? 100 megabytes in 60 seconds is 13.3 mbps... that's faster than the rated maximum speed of USB 1.1.

11. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

umm i use usb 1.1 for my bro's ipod at home.. and its fine.

Yes if you plan to transfer all 10gigs of music you may want to leave it over night.. but i've transfered like 5 gigs within 2 hrs or smthn.. not fast.. but jus leave it at ur comp and watch tv.