Upgrading my Mac Mini

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joey4127, Feb 18, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I have a 32mb video card but i would like a 64 or stronger. How hard would it be to upgrade the mac mini with that?

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

um, about as easy as upgrading a laptop. you would have to replace the entire main board since the video card is integrated. the 32mb in the mini gets the job done. if you want more power go for the single processor power mac. its a good deal and a lot more upgradeable.

3. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Ya, it does get the job done...But what would i need more for? imovie works great with it.

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

The video card is part of the main board, i guess you'll have to wait a revision or go for a mac from a higher end line...

Cheers

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

As someone else pointed out, it's impossible. Cannot be done. I dont class swapping out logic boards as an upgrade because essentially what you have is a completely different computer. And that's assuming Apple will make a Mac Mini mobo with 64Mb VRAM with the same form factor.

The Mac Mini is a cheap mac with very basic specifications to get people started in the Mac world or for people that fancy a cheap upgrade from old CRT iMacs/Blue & White G3's. It's not meant to be a gaming or graphics monster.

I wish people wouldn't get annoyed at the fact that cheap macs are not that upgradable. And I wish people would stop saying "How do I upgrade the VRAM on my Mac Mini/iMac?" the question should be phrased "Is it possible?..." and that way you'll get a friendly response.

6. frozenapple macrumors newbie

Ahh, well, not to be rude, however, that's a pretty tall order, but since you classified it as a wish, one shouldn't take that too seriously I guess.

I moderate several forums for a major mobo manufacturer, and I see questions like that all the time. If one doesn't have the patience to answer a question fielded by a less knowledgeable member, then there is no point in saying anything at all. We have to treat them all with respect as much as possible...

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Point taken, sorry didn't mean to be rude. I think my problem was the original post sounded loaded, almost like the poster knew that the upgrade couldn't be performed but decided to ask anyway to prove a point, as if to say the Mac Mini is inferior. Do you see where i'm coming from?

8. frozenapple macrumors newbie