Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EAH22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
EDIT
I got the ram to work, is there something else I need to do to upgrade the hard drive? I assumed you just install it and run Mac OS X off the boot?

I finally got my macbook back today after waiting two weeks for them to fix the bezel, it has swirl marks scratches all over the top now, thanks Apple:(

In this time I purchased 2 gigs of ram and 160 hard drive. I cannot get either of them to work, at first I upgraded both so I thought it must be one or the other I have tried just using the new ram, it didnt work, and I also tried just using the updated hard drive and it didnt work either. Can anyone help me out?

I am using my macbook right now with the original hard drive and ram so I know how install them properly.

here is the ram I purchased
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231066

Here is the hard drive I purchased
HITACHI 2.5" 160GB 0A28844 SATA 5400RPM

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EAH22

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
You'll find some good info and even a guide for changing the hard drive AND adding/replacing memory, on Apple's own MacBook support site here.

As far as the RAM you got though, I'm curious if the fact its PC5400, is a problem. The MacBook runs on PC5300, but I might have heard somewhere one is compatible with the other... :confused: Maybe someone can shed some light on that one.

EAH22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I got everything to work, I just need to figure out how to install the OS on my new hard drive, when I put my install disk in and boot from it doesnt show my hard drive to install to it. I presume that it is because it has not been formatted to have the os installed on it, but I dont see any options to do so.

I will search for the answer, and post it if no one has already done so.

Shasta

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
Upstate/Central NY
It has been awhile since I've reinstalled the OS, but I believe there is a disk utility in one of the menu options.

Load it up (while leaving the installer in the background) and reformat the HD for OSX, then just continue on with the install

Good luck
Shasta

EAH22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Shasta said:
It has been awhile since I've reinstalled the OS, but I believe there is a disk utility in one of the menu options.

Load it up (while leaving the installer in the background) and reformat the HD for OSX, then just continue on with the install

Good luck
Shasta

Thank you,

I ended up figuring it out, I dont know how I did not see the menu bar the first time I tried to install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.