Upgrading my OS

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Macguy779, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Macguy779 macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I am currently running OS 2 on my mac classic and i would like to upgrade to OS X 10.3. The thing is my current OS is apparently quite dated and an upgrade was reccomended by a friend. I have never done this before and would like to know how one would go about upgrading OS 2 to OS X 10.3?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I seriously hope this is some sort of sick joke, either by you or your friend...

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Must be...

Since the Mac Classic was a System 6 machine, I wish jokesters were smart enough to at least rub together enough brain cells to make accurate spam.

This guy probably wasn't even born when Macs were running System/Finder 2.x

4. Macguy779 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not joking. The mac i own IS a macintosh classic and its the small portable one with OS 2. It says this at the start so there is no mistake about it. Theres nothing about system 6. Thank you for not taking my serious question seriously, i am not very knowledgeable about computers and only wanted some help.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Obviously, since even the first Mac Portable was a System 6 machine.

[​IMG]

And the Mac Classic would boot up with System 6.

If you are running System/Finder 2, it would be off a floppy on something much older than a SE.

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha yea... You want to install Mac OS X on this computer, which is from a time in which 640x480 was plenty screen space, and in which greyscale screens were high-tech? I think not, my friend. :rolleyes:

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If it's a classic it came with os 6.0.7 or 7.0.
    The newest OS you can run on it is os 7.5
    I would recommed os 7.1.

Even the Mac Plus won't run OS 2.0, only Mac 128k and Mac 512k will run os 2.0

8. reh macrumors 6502a

Just a thought...

Maybe "Mac Classic" = iMac Classic = G3 iMac?
    and "OS 2" = OS 10.2?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe he is running OS/2 Warp on a CHRP machine... one of the lucky few to get their hands on it before the project was killed.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or maybe he heard his friend say, "I'm running an OS on my computer," and he said, "You can't pwn me like a n00b! OMG IM RUNNING AN OS 2!!!"

Hmmm...you could always pop up the about this mac window, and then marker in some extra lines to make the 2 look like an X. It might be inconvenient when running other applications, but it should allow for a few more good years out of the system. :)

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, maybe, like he has a splash screen or background picture that says OS/2 as a joke or something. Why don't we suggest something constructive like:

MacGuy, could you please go to the Apple menu at the top left corner of your screen, pull down to "About this Macintosh", release the mouse and report to us everything it says in the dialog box that comes onscreen in response? This will remove the uncertainty about what Mac opertating system it is actually running, and confirm which Mac you have, and how much memory it currently has.

13. Macguy779 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, im sorry for the confusion over my mac. Here is a picture of the exact same mac as mine.

As you can see, its quite portable. It isnt a laptop though its still easy to carry about.

[​IMG]

14. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

you have no chance of putting 10.3 on there. it would be like saying I want to put Windows XP on a commidore 64 (sp) or something like that.

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

This is NOT funny!

That computer is atleast 15 years old.
    It can't run os 2.0 either, and denfinately not os 10.3.
    Get OS 6.0.7-->7.5.5 for it.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nobody was confused over here, "that's" a 16-bit Motorola 68000 Machine that came with System 6.0 and will run any Sytem through 7.5.5

All the confusion is on your end.

Nothing called Mac OS 10.x ever will run on that thing.

Which means you are joking, or cannot even read the Mac OS X v10.2 box which says PowerPC with built-in USB.

However, you might be able to run Windows XP, if you gut the thing, put in a mini ATX motherboard, and a 9-inch LCD.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be a pretty funny project, wouldn't it, to take the guts of a cube or something, maybe even get a small LCD screen, and "retrofit" a Mac Classic to OS X? Well, if I had lots of extra money lying around and I didn't actually care about things more important than a gag, it would be pretty funny. ;)

Oooh, if you were really good with tools, hog out that slot loading floppy drive and rock a superdrive!!! :D

18. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Even though I must admit that the question asked is a bit er... "out of touch" with things, there's no need to trample the guy, folks.

Be nice.

-Squirrel

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Remember those uncomfortable oddly-shaped angular mice?

They were certainly not the good old days...

20. Macguy779 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well i think ill just buy a new computer then. Should i buy another mac or buy a pc? I want to use my computer for e-mail, word processing and some games.

21. mms macrumors 6502a

Well, since you're on a Mac forum, everybody will recommend a Mac. As to which one to get, depends on your needs. Give us more specifics. Do you need portability? What is your budget? For games, are you talking about something like UT2k4 or Oregon Trail?