Upgrading my printer - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnbro23, Oct 25, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I have an HP PSC (Printer Scanner Copier) 1310. It's ok. But its basically the lowest end PSC there is. I do a lot of design work, so I send a lot more than just word documents to my printer. I have tried (with minimal success) to print on special business card paper. With some printing jobs, I would like to have smaller margins. Also, the printer does not communicate well with my Mac. It requires a certain sequence of powering off and on and restarting the HP application. Also, its very slow.

I've heard good things about Canon printers. I want to spend between $150 and $250. I still want the PSC combo. I want a high resolution printer (high DPI). I'm also looking for a printer that can handle small margins (are there consumer printers that print with no margin?). And faster is better.

Finally, where should I buy it?

2. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I know the 1310, a decent basic robust printer usually.

Have you seen the HP PSC C5180? It's brand new out (at least over here in the UK!) and has some pretty sweet inner workings, including ink recycling and air jet print head cleaning all aimed at giving better ink efficiency.

It takes 6 ink cartridges, geared towards great photographs (but obviously takes nothing from the bottom line of basic document printing), it also has built in ethernet networking. It's Mac compatible and I believe its borderless printing too.

I have a HP PSC 3210, which I believe this printer is aimed at replacing, and my PSC 3210 works absolutely perfectly with my Mac, (better than my Windows PC to be honest!) and having it over the network is so sweet and easy to use.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I read some reviews on the Canon PIXMA MP530 which is an all in one and scored very well, so did the MP830. One is $199 the other $299, but that is through Apple, you could probably save $20-50 off either one elsewhere. They both have document feeders and good quality scanning too. I have heard mixed review of HPs in general, so stayed away from the C3180, C4180 and C5180. That and they didn't have feeders, which is a nice feature in that you can scan a multiple page document to a single PDF file. I ordered the MP530 with my new Mac yesterday, part of their printer promo. So I got $100 rebate on it. But I won't have it for another week or two. I also read that it does borderless printing too. I think the only difference between the two Canons is that the 830 has card reader in it too. But I always edit first so I didn't need that.

5. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Sounds good. Personally I rate Canons and HPs, HPs generally for build quality and reliability, Canon for sheer excellence when it comes to certain things.

If you want a feeder the HP OfficeJets would probably serve you well.

Good luck with the Canon! I've seen the MP530 and it looks good. First hand impressions off you would be useful!