1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Upgrading my rev A Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by costabunny, Mar 9, 2013.

1. macrumors Demi-Goddess

costabunny

Well I have this wonderful machine - her name is Alice and she has helped keep at least some of my sanity while I am recovering at home.

She was donated to me by a wonderful monochrome furry demi ;) She has also had a new battery thanks to another amazingly generous demi.

Now I dont have much to spend on her (being on benefits sucks the lower part of my rear side) but I would like to speed her up a bit and replace her keyboard if possible, as the space and n keys have days when they are uncooperative.

I cant seem to locate a supply for the UK spec keyboard (and dont even know if its possible - is the top cover the same layout?).

I have found an SSD that should help remove all the waiting I get http://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSpec-1-...8NQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362841460&sr=8-2 if this is a good choice (its about the maximum I can possibly go).

Can anyone give me some advice on this one? (I can reinstall the OS from disk as I have a USB DVD).

The keyboard bit is trickier as I am beginning to think its a top plate replacement job.

I would think about trading for a newer 13" Air but again thats not really feasible for the foreseeable future.

any advice would be helpful folks :)

2. macrumors 68030

To replace the keyboard - you need to remove the top case (and possibly replace it if you can't find an actual keyboard). This isn't for the feint of heart - and is basically an entire rebuild of the machine (remove everything from the top case, and rebuild it in the new one).

3. macrumors Demi-Goddess

costabunny

having looked at the pics on google I think to put a UK keyboard in mine (which is a US model) then I would need a UK top plate - the return key is bigger for starters :(

Might have to see if I can find a top plate/keyboard combo on ebay for a UK model (rev A)

----------

would this be sufficient for the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...puting_Housings_Touchpads&hash=item3ccec4ee18

----------

The model is correct A1237

4. Brian Y, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

macrumors 68030

922-8315 is the correct top case :) If you want a british one, look for B922-8315

5. macrumors G5

Macman45

Or buy one that's going for spares? I guess you might be taking a little risk, but they come up from time to time....Trouble is that most are US based...Ebay ( as much as I dislike it) might be a better bet.

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

7. macrumors Demi-Goddess

costabunny