Upgrading my rev A Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by costabunny, Mar 9, 2013.

1. costabunny
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well I have this wonderful machine - her name is Alice and she has helped keep at least some of my sanity while I am recovering at home.

She was donated to me by a wonderful monochrome furry demi ;) She has also had a new battery thanks to another amazingly generous demi.

Now I dont have much to spend on her (being on benefits sucks the lower part of my rear side) but I would like to speed her up a bit and replace her keyboard if possible, as the space and n keys have days when they are uncooperative.

I cant seem to locate a supply for the UK spec keyboard (and dont even know if its possible - is the top cover the same layout?).

I have found an SSD that should help remove all the waiting I get http://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSpec-1-...8NQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362841460&sr=8-2 if this is a good choice (its about the maximum I can possibly go).

Can anyone give me some advice on this one? (I can reinstall the OS from disk as I have a USB DVD).

The keyboard bit is trickier as I am beginning to think its a top plate replacement job.

I would think about trading for a newer 13" Air but again thats not really feasible for the foreseeable future.

any advice would be helpful folks :)

2. Brian Y
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

To replace the keyboard - you need to remove the top case (and possibly replace it if you can't find an actual keyboard). This isn't for the feint of heart - and is basically an entire rebuild of the machine (remove everything from the top case, and rebuild it in the new one).

3. costabunny
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

having looked at the pics on google I think to put a UK keyboard in mine (which is a US model) then I would need a UK top plate - the return key is bigger for starters :(

Might have to see if I can find a top plate/keyboard combo on ebay for a UK model (rev A)

----------

would this be sufficient for the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...puting_Housings_Touchpads&hash=item3ccec4ee18

----------

The model is correct A1237

4. Brian Y, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

Brian Y
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

922-8315 is the correct top case :) If you want a british one, look for B922-8315

5. Macman45
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Macman45

Or buy one that's going for spares? I guess you might be taking a little risk, but they come up from time to time....Trouble is that most are US based...Ebay ( as much as I dislike it) might be a better bet.

6. Macman45
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Macman45

7. costabunny
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny