Upgrading NFR version of FCP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ccroo, Dec 3, 2004.

1. ccroo macrumors regular

Dear Folks:

I'm told you cannot buy a FCP 4 upgrade box and successfully upgrade a NFR version of FCP 3. Is this true?

Thanks!
    Raoul

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

How the %^&$ did you get an NFR copy? You have absolutely no legitimate reason for asking that, either it is stolen and you’re screwing apple or you have a NFR license agreement with apple and new version from them.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

May I ask what NFR is?

Must....expand.....vocabulary of.... internet acronyms.......... :)

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm completely lost when it comes to internet acronyms (IA :cool: :p) or text speak, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Not For Retail.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

NFR = Not For Resale

This is software that is sold or given as demos for resellers, evaluation samples to large accounts, prizes for user groups, and sometimes for reseller employees to purchase.

The terms of a NFR license agreement will vary by manufacturer. Commonly, the end user is permitted to use the software for demonstration or education, but they are forbidden to sell the software or to give it away. Often, NFR versions are specifically not eligible to be upgraded to newer, commencial versions.

There are a few oddball licenses, such as Dreamweaver: if an Academic or NFR version of Dreamweaver is used for any commercial website work (that is, a "paying" job) then under the terms of the license the user must pay Macromedia the difference between the Academic/NFR price and the full retail price.

Remember that when you purchase software, you are not purchasing a "thing" but are purchasing a license to use some intellectual property under defined contract provisions. You agree to those provisions when you install the software. Different licenses have different costs and different terms of use.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

7. advres Guest

advres

I know this won't help but I was able to upgrade to 4.5 from 4 in my NFR version. I work for a software company that makes plugs for FCP so that's how I got mine in case anyone was going to ask.

Usually if you are running a NFR version it is because you got it via apple for a particular reason (reseller, developer, etc.) I would just get a copy of the new version from your work but since I doubt you got it legally I will say... go buy it.