Upgrading old G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Motoduc84, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Motoduc84 macrumors newbie

Hello:

This is a G4, 533 dual-processor that has been operating on OS X 10.03.

I purchased Panther from allmac.com (which included upgrades to 10.2 and 10.3, so I think I have the right discs).

Perhaps I didn't know what I was getting into, as I thought this would be just like any other install. I learned otherwise!

Is there a manual on-line that can help me through this...or a PDF somewhere...or even a book that I can purchase?

There is nothing on this computer that needs to be saved, so this could be a clean install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you can make this a clean install, all you need to do is put the CD in the drive, shutdown the computer and start it back up again. While it's starting up (after you hear the chime), hold down the C key to have it boot off the CD. From there, just follow the on-screen instructions. After about 30 minutes, you'll have yourself a pristine install of OS X Panther. In general, installing OS X is pretty straight-forward, self-explanatory process, but if you need help you might check here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50071

If you're going to install cleanly, I recommend an "Erase and Install" instead of an "Archive and Install."

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How so? Please, specifically describe the problems you are having. You should be able to reboot on the install disc and click upgrade. (Neither "archive and install" nor "clean install" are required, and are not recommended unless you're currently having major problems with this Mac.)

4. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...but do I need to make these other upgrades (10.2, THEN 10.3) first...and then install Panther?

5. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem was that I was expecting an Installer icon to show up as soon as I inserted the disc. Instead...the folder opened I just saw a bunch of icons.

So..SHUT DOWN (not just restart?)...wait for the chime, THEN hold "C" and that should get me to the installer icon that I was expecting?

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You shouldn't have to. Installing OS X isn't quite like installing Windows, there's no check for old versions or anything like that -- all discs are full install discs and should install the version on the disc without a hitch.

Restore discs are slightly different, and require the specific type of computer they were packaged with, but they're still full-install discs.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You can restart if you want, just make sure you hold down the C key (doesn't matter if you wait for the chime or not, but if you wait too long after the chime, it'll start from the HD, not the CD).

It won't get you an installer icon, it'll just start the OS X installer. You'll see, it'll make sense when it's happening.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No.

Restart will work, but you should not have to do even this. I haven't looked at my Panther install disks for a long time, but IIRC, one of the icons on the disk is the installer and is clearly named. When you double-click on it, the Mac will reboot onto the installer, and from there you follow the instructions.

9. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try the above. I should also mention that I am working with CD's provided by allmac (they provided the original DVD's, too, but this G4 does not have a DVD drive).

Does this change anything? And, I guess I should ask, has anyone purchased products from allmac before...any problems to consider?

Thanks so very much.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are you saying that the CDs are duplicates instead of originals?

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

CDs vs DVDs shouldn't change anything except you'll need 2 or 3 discs instead of one :)

12. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not what I am saying. I purchased original Panther from allmac. I told them I did not have a DVD drive. They sent the DVD's AND a back-up copy on CD's.

13. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well...rats! It just won't accept this CD. It keeps kicking it out...no explanation.

Argh!

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually I still believe that is exactly what you are saying. Are the CDs original, Apple parts? The CD installer set is not a "backup" of the DVD installer. I'm not trying to bust anyone. I am simply trying to establish whether the CD installer disks are from Apple, or are duplicates.

15. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, okay. Sorry. The CD's are duplicates, if I understand you correctly, sent along with the originals, which were on DVD.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now we're getting somewhere. ;)

I think the copies are bad, or for some other reason aren't reading on your drive. It happens. No telling how they were made, either.

17. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rats...again! I thought that might be the problem, but my first inclination is to always blame myself.

I called allmac...waiting for a response.
    Thanks for your help...I will let you know what happens.

18. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, the CD was bad. Allmac will be sending a replacement. Thanks all.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I hope you have better luck with the replacements!