Upgrading old Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sturm375, Jun 5, 2003.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I have 2 Power Mac 7500/100 computers. I am intersted in upgrading them with an IDE Hard Drive controller, and a PCI Video Card. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. donigian macrumors regular

No offense, but shouldn't you just get newer computer, I mean, why would you want to upgrade these machines?

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Get an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. That will thoroughly saturate the throughput of the PCI bus on that machine.

As for the PCI card I would get it from MacSales. They have reviews of personal experience with most of the cards in varying machines they test of there own.

You can get the Radeon from them too.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The computer will still be quite slow even with that upgrade.

I mean, if you are running Os X (omg to begin with).

I would probably suggest a CPU upgrade if you want better speed.

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Those upgrades arn't really going a lot of ****. The pci graphics wont do no good because x is going to be slow. and the speed upgrade is through doughterboard..data bus to low to make it in a full optimal speed. get an i mac and recycle that old piece of ****..

6. donigian macrumors regular

If you'd check out sturm375's profile you'd see that he has a PowerBook G4, so I don't think he wants to use the PM7500s as his primary computers. I think he's just interested in what could be done, although, sturm375, if I'm wrong, please correct me.

7. Mblazened macrumors regular

8. Mblazened macrumors regular

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

And Spam is giving bad advice...

Twice.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Actually with those upgrades and the Quartz Extreme hack you would be surprised at how well the user interface flys. I have a friend that has a 7500 that I have been helping with advice on upgrading. He used the Radeon 7000 and a G4 550 upgrade. He got both for about $350 total. Also he went with a larger SCSI drive just because believe it or not it was cheaper then buying a PCI ATA card and a ATA drive. I would stick to your plan of the ATA drive because it is still faster though then a cheap SCSI.

11. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, my Boss was given these 2 computers. Both have G3 Upgrade cards (I Think). He wants to be able to use one for a simple workstation (ie, Email, Web Browsing, 4D Client) not very taxing. We would like to be able to run OS X, but at the moment we'd settle for them running:D

Thanks for the suggestions, and believe me, I've said ditch them as well.:)