Upgrading OS 8.1 to OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricFletcher, Feb 19, 2007.

1. EricFletcher macrumors newbie

I searched, and found nothing...maybe I'm not searching hard enough?

Anyway, I've had an iMac G3 since November and never really touched it. I want to upgrade the living crap out of it...but I have no clue how. Here are the specs:

iMac G3
    Mac OS 8.1
    160 MB RAM
    15 GB HD

Also, it has no PCI slot...which is a problem for me. this is what I have instead, is it possible to install a PCI Card onto it?

Thanks in Advance

-Eric

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

If you want to run OS X on that, you'll need a lot more RAM and disk space. If I recall correctly, in a recent thread about running Leopard on a G4 someone mentioned getting OSX to work on a clamshell iBook G3. You might trying to ask a question directly to him/her.

LINK, post 18

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You'll need to upgrade the hard drive just to find room for Mac OS X and you'll want to add a lot more RAM to find acceptable performance.

You should update to Mac OS 9.2.2 prior to installing Mac OS X (version 10.3 should do well) to be able to run anything that you're currently using.

You can't add on PCI slots with that machine. I've seen PCI expansions but they're almost always for machines that already have PCI slots. Sometimes, they have Firewire interfaces but the price goes up quite a bit. In any case, it would be cheaper to buy a PowerMac.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I was in almost exactly the same situation as you, except I was running OS 9.1 originally.

Bump the RAM up to 512 mb, or 1 GB if you'd like to stretch a bit further, it's still very cheap and easy to have installed.

Also, you'll need at least 30 gb of hard drive at a bare minimum. If you want to do anything with this machine (which you will be able to after you're on Tiger), then I'd put an 80 gb drive in.

My machine:
    350 MHz
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB Hard Drive

Runs very smoothly, I gave it to a friend on permanent loan, and he uses it as his main computer :)

5. bartelby macrumors Core

You need built-in Firewire to run Tiger. But you'd be able to run Panther no problem.

6. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

IMO unless you already have a copy of OS X or can get it used for CHEAP. It would not be worth the 100+ to put OS X on that machine.

Additionally you would have to spend a fair amount of money on hardware upgrades.

Unless you want to undertake this as a fun hobby/project I would not bother.

Why don't you look for a cheap G4 that already comes with OS X on ebay?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't NEED to upgrade the hard drive. I run Tiger on a 500 MHz iBook with a 10 GB hard drive. Yes, the OS install is stripped down to about 3.5 GB and I don't have any iLife apps besides iTunes on it, but it is definitely usable.

That said, if you want to get the most out of the machine, you really should upgrade the hard drive. Along with the other stuff people have mentioned. :)

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I've used Tiger on a clamshell with a 3GB HD, iBook with 10GB, an Power Mac G4 with 10GB. You definitely don't need to upgrade your hard drive.

9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

If it's a primary computer then yes, upgrading the HD is a must. If it's just a hobby, secondary machine or a jukebox then no :) I suggested upgrading the HD thinking it was going to be a main computer

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Uh huh. So you're making my point? :D

I installed 10.3 onto my dad's 350 MHz iMac with 6 GB drive but it's not much fun when you're lacking room for applications.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In a way, yes. :p

I'm not going to be using GarageBand or iDVD on that computer, but I can still do a lot. So it really depends on what the OP is looking to do with the machine.

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Not if you install OS X before putting the new HD in the iMac. You don't 'need' firewire to run OS X. It just makes installing it easier.

Also, you could upgrade the optical drive to a combo and then use the Tiger disk to install it that way.

I've brought back many G3 iMacs from near death to running brilliantly, and it can be done with little cost.

David