upgrading PB video card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

simple question -

is this possible? I have a 17" PB with 1 gig ram. Its a Rev A PB (1 ghz). I know that their are very few upgrades possible on laptops, and even fewer on apple laptops at that - but i was wondering if it was possible to stick in a faster more powerful video card if i ever come across one? Since im not as tech savy as some of you, who would i get to do this for me?

also, what cards are out right now that would work in the powerbook that are better then a 64 mb gforce 4 that comes stock with my machine? oh and how much would such a card cost?

2. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

don't think so

no, i don't think you can do that. I think only Alienware and as of recent Dell's gaming notebook are the only laptops that have upgradable graphics cards

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just ot confirm: This is not possible. Current (and recent) Apple laptops not have graphics cards. The graphics chip and it's high speed video RAM are soldered directly to the logic board. The only way to upgrade the graphics chip would be to replace the whole logic board. This would cost so much that you would not even think about doing it.

4. luke_s macrumors member

luke_s

does anyone know if its possible to upgrade the cpu in a powerbook g4?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Just copy paste robbieduncan's previous post and replace the words "graphic card" with "CPU". There is your answer. ^_^ (except for the "don't have" part)

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Eventually it will be possible. There are a few companies that will upgrade the G3 processor in older G3 PowerBooks to a G4. They remove the old processor and resolder a G4 onto the board. Eventually, they'll probably offer faster G4's for current G4 PowerBooks.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well hopefully ATI will bring way its mobility 9700 into the PB lineup.

8. bluetrepidation macrumors member

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! Ever heard of surface mount soldering? Yes that's right.. unsolder that old processor and pop a new one in. Someday when I have the $ I'm building me a soldering station to do just that. In fact I have plans from the web by others who have built stations.

Wishfull thinking,
    A.J.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: upgrading PB video card

Yes...

Apple is willing to do it...

The PowerBook 17 video card updates start at $2999.00+tax (Selling the old card on eBay will cut down some of that cost)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Simple Answer

NO!

If you want to upgrade your computer, dont buy a laptop. As was suggested, 17" upgrades start at $3K

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

LoL, just replace the word laptop in these posts with "mac" :D

Besides RAM, a hard drive, and possibly the videocard on a powermac, goodluck upgrading.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You may include the processor on G3 and G4 PowerMacs, and selected older machines, as well.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's not true, there are companies that make logic board upgrades, I have a G3 upgrade for my 68040 Performa. You can get G4 upgrades, even dualies IIRC, for your cube.

Just look here for some available upgrades.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Yeah, OWC has, i think, all the available G4 upgrades on the market, and some discontinued.
    Video cards on the PM's are available too.

if you have the $$, almost anything is possible .