upgrading processor card - questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dubbelhund, Jul 29, 2002.

1. dubbelhund macrumors member

I am considering an upgrading to the new Powerforce G4 series 100 processor card (700 to 1 GHz). I currently have a 500 MHz cube and I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there would be any significant difference and if it is really worth the $ 600 - $ 800? My question may seem obvious to the experts - but, isn't it the bus speed that really counts? Without a higher bus speed you won't be able to utilize a higher processor power, right? So, is the new bus located on the new card? If anyone would like to explain the "megaherz myth" (bus ratio, bus operation etc) to a beginner, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Feature List: PowerForce G4 Series 100

* PowerPC 7450 or 7455 @ 700MHz to 1GHz
    * 256K of L2 cache @ 700MHz to 1GHz
    * 1Mb of L3 cache @ 200MHz to 250MHz
    * 100MHz bus operation
    * Bus ratio of 7:1 to 10:1 depending on clock speed
    * Compatible with the following:
    * PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics
    * PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet
    * PowerMac G4 Cube

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, look at it this way: since the cube is now obsolete, any upgrade you give it will make it a better machine. Since it sounds like you're sticking with the cube for the long haul, then that's the way to go. I'm no expert on the perceived speed differences between MHz and bus speed, but I guarantee you that a 1GHz G4 will be much faster than a 500MHz! Whether that justifies the price or not, that's up to you.

3. big macrumors 65816

big

when I dropped a G4 Zif into my B&W G3, there were noticable differences (especially in OSX) I imagine especially the 1g upgrade would make that cube feel like you just installed a whole new brain (actually, you will have huh?)

I'd say if the price justifies it, then go for it. If you can wait till 10.2, that may be the thing to do, and see how the speed feels then (your cheapest option)

4. dubbelhund thread starter macrumors member

thanks! I decided to get the processor card - so I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I'm also considering one of the upgrade cards for my 500 MHz Cube.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the resulting speed increase and how easy/difficult the upgrade is, once you have it installed.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

where?

Where are you getting your card from? Online? Can you post a link? I'm interested in an upgrade card as well.

-evildead

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

http://www.sonnettech.com/

They've got the goods. And they strongly recommend having a "professional" install the cube processor upgrades, so have fun! :p

8. dubbelhund thread starter macrumors member