Upgrading Quadra 610

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rmalghan, Feb 16, 2004.

1. rmalghan macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2004
    Hello: I am very new to MAC. I have a old Quadra 610 (1993). Is it possible to upgrade the hardware on this so that I can install Mac OS X. Basically I just want a hardware which will run a webserver.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Welcome. Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive, but unfortunately you cant run OS X.

I think the newest mac OS you can run on that would be 8.1. Good luck.
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    There is a PowerPC upgrade for the 610, but I wouldn't bother with it; you'll still only be able to run 8.1.

No reason you can't run a webserver tho; go to lowendmac.com, there are folks who run web servers on Mac Plus's and even Newtons.
  4. IIvan macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2003
    There might be a way- but you'd have to have at least a g3 to run OSX. You'd probly have to find a PowerPC 601 or 604 motherbard or pocessor upgrade, and then pile a g3 processor upgrade onto that. Best advice- get an original G3 beige or blue and white tower. WAY faster, and they're pretty cheap. go to everymac.com if your'e not sure about model nick-names
  5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    I think upgrading the hd in that Quadra is worth way more than the computer itself. Best thing to do is to get a Beige G3 or a BW G3 and use them...
  6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Although G3s are technically required for OSX, it apparently has 604e support, and people have gotten it running on 9600s and I think 8600s.

That said, those machines are a far cry from a 610, and it's not gonna happen. Even if it were theoretically possible, the machine is only worth about $10 anyway, so the parts that it would take to make it anywhere near compatible with OSX (HD, new processor, new motherboard) would cost more than a used G3 Mac.

Good luck finding a worthwhile use for it, though.
  7. DrBoar macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    For web server duty you can either run the native Mac OS or more nerdy UNIX versions like Net BSD and FreeBSD.

I would not waste any money on upgrading it. The absolute bottom end for OS X is the PCI powermacs with 604 CPU. I have installed 10.1.5 (the highest OS for that CPU) but it really is quite tricky and things like disk repairs (in OS X) does nto work from the CDs and so on and the OS really fill out the HDs of that generation. The next useful step up is the B&W G3 that run OS X quite well and natively runs 10.3