Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unrealrocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Just bought a cheapo G3 box to mess around with and probably use as an iTunes box.

I was interested to know Crucial sell specific PC133 256MB sticks for this computer although I wondered if just any old PC100/133 RAM'll work as it'll save me quite a bit of money, heh.

Cheers muchly

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TLRedhawke said:
Any PC100 or PC133 sticks will work just fine.
Sorry, can't agree. If this is a beige G3 in particular, it is incompatible with almost all modern PC133 modules.

Beige and Blue & White G3's require a 16-chip 256 Mb PC100 module (PC66 or compatible PC100 in the beige). An 8-chip or 4-chip 256 will crash and burn.
They do not support 512 Mb modules at all.

If you are in the USA Data Memory Systems has the correct RAM

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
The B&Ws are very fussy about RAM in OS X. Your best bet is to make sure all of your ram sticks have the same specs. This can be done in OS 9 using Dimm First Aid, DFA.

The System Profiler in OS X is not always accurate. I would not trust it for testing ram for use in a B&W.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Considering that I've never had either a Beige or a Blue & White fail to recognize standard PC133, I'd have to disagree. A Beige may be unwilling to accept a 512MB stick, but the Blue & White should have no issues.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TLRedhawke said:
Considering that I've never had either a Beige or a Blue & White fail to recognize standard PC133, I'd have to disagree. A Beige may be unwilling to accept a 512MB stick, but the Blue & White should have no issues.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to pull rank - I've got 17 years and about 15,000 RAM modules seniority on you ;)

The Yikes motherboard G4's, B&W G3's and Beige G3's cannot recognize a 512 Mb module. Their memory controllers cannot count that high. It wasn't until the Sawtooth motherboard (AGP graphics) G4s came out that 512s became an option.

EveryMac
Kingston
Low End Mac
Data Memory Systems

You may have had good luck with low density (16 chip) PC133 256 Mb modules, but most PC133's made today are high density (4 or 8 chip) and will not work in these machines. It's not the speed, its the density that is the issue.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
CanadaRAM said:
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to pull rank - I've got 17 years and about 15,000 RAM modules seniority on you ;)

The Yikes motherboard G4's, B&W G3's and Beige G3's cannot recognize a 512 Mb module. Their memory controllers cannot count that high. It wasn't until the Sawtooth motherboard (AGP graphics) G4s came out that 512s became an option.

You may have had good luck with low density (16 chip) PC133 256 Mb modules, but most PC133's made today are high density (4 or 8 chip) and will not work in these machines. It's not the speed, its the density that is the issue.

Yep, CR is right, no 512's or HD sticks in the B&W's......been there, done that :)
I had a B&W for over 4 years & learned this firsthand by going thru more ram sticks than I care to admit to find the right combo of speed, latency & density. They WILL however, take the older, low density PC133 notta problemo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.